Обсуждение: What is the state of the art for using LINQ with PostgreSQL?

What is the state of the art for using LINQ with PostgreSQL?

От
Rob Richardson

Greetings!

I would like to begin learning to use LINQ with PostgreSQL.  Ideally, it would be good to have free tools to do it, since I probably won’t be finished playing with it before 30 days are up and I’d have to pay for something.  It would also be good if whatever I use has a good set of tutorials that I can follow to begin using them.  Where should I start?

I have found the dotConnect provider from DevArt, and I’m going to begin playing with their free “Express” provider.  Does anyone have experience working with DevArt’s tools, and if so, what did you think?

Thanks very much!

RobR

Re: What is the state of the art for using LINQ with PostgreSQL?

От
Mike Christensen
Дата:
> I would like to begin learning to use LINQ with PostgreSQL.  Ideally, it
> would be good to have free tools to do it, since I probably won’t be
> finished playing with it before 30 days are up and I’d have to pay for
> something.  It would also be good if whatever I use has a good set of
> tutorials that I can follow to begin using them.  Where should I start?
>

> I have found the dotConnect provider from DevArt, and I’m going to begin
> playing with their free “Express” provider.  Does anyone have experience
> working with DevArt’s tools, and if so, what did you think?

I use DevArt's Oracle drivers at work and they're very, very good.
Their sales people are very difficult to get a response from, however
their support people are knowledgable and will always respond with
code examples and what not.  However, at least the Oracle tools are
quite expensive.  I'm not familiar with their free stuff, but I'd
expect it has limited functionality.

For my Postgres project at home, I use Castle ActiveRecord which is an
Active Record implementation built on top of NHibernate.  I absolutely
love it, and it's free and open source.  However, Castle ActiveRecord
is no longer actively being worked on, with the assumption people will
be using either the .NET Entity Framework or Fluent NHibernate, both
which support LINQ.  Personally, I prefer the Active Record pattern a
lot more, so am kinda hoping the Castle project is resurrected at some
point.

Mike

Re: What is the state of the art for using LINQ with PostgreSQL?

От
Rob Richardson

Replying partially to my own question:

I downloaded the Express provider from DevArt.  I then set them an E-mail as scornfully as I possibly could write suggesting that if they are going to provide samples with their code, the samples should probably be tested at least once.

We’ll see if their customer support people are willing to reply to someone as rude as I was, but they thoroughly deserved all the rudeness I used and many times more.

RobR

I would like to begin learning to use LINQ with PostgreSQL.  Ideally, it would be good to have free tools to do it, since I probably won’t be finished playing with it before 30 days are up and I’d have to pay for something.  It would also be good if whatever I use has a good set of tutorials that I can follow to begin using them.  Where should I start?

I have found the dotConnect provider from DevArt, and I’m going to begin playing with their free “Express” provider.  Does anyone have experience working with DevArt’s tools, and if so, what did you think?

Thanks very much!

RobR

Re: What is the state of the art for using LINQ with PostgreSQL?

От
Mike Christensen
Дата:
BTW, they'll probably take a day to respond since they're all in the Ukraine :)

They also seem to respond to questions fairly quickly on
StackOverflow, if you use the DevArt tag.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Rob Richardson
<RDRichardson@rad-con.com> wrote:
> Replying partially to my own question:
>

> I downloaded the Express provider from DevArt.  I then set them an E-mail as
> scornfully as I possibly could write suggesting that if they are going to
> provide samples with their code, the samples should probably be tested at
> least once.
>

> We’ll see if their customer support people are willing to reply to someone
> as rude as I was, but they thoroughly deserved all the rudeness I used and
> many times more.
>

> RobR

Дата:
I downloaded the LinqConnect demo, which is what I really need, and which seems to work well.  I'm unsure whether their
EntityDeveloper tool is required with it, or if I can get the context class I need for inclusion in a C# project some
otherway, such as with something provided inside Visual Studio.

RobR

Re: What is the state of the art for using LINQ with PostgreSQL?

От
Adam Bruss

I use Devart dotconnect for Postgresql at work and love it. I use it for inserting into and querying a database of regression test results. I also use it for managing a database of crash reports. I can’t say anything bad about it. One of the cool features

I like a lot is the amount of Get<type> functions the PgSqlDataReader class has. There is a GetBoolean() for bools, GetDate() for timestamps etc. It’s also cheap as all can be. It’s 200$ US for a single developer. That gets you the api and the visual developer tools.

Adam Bruss

Senior Development Engineer

AWR Corporation

11520 N. Port Washington Rd., Suite 201