Обсуждение: Is there a way to use "pack" in pl/perl without resorting to pl/perlu?

Is there a way to use "pack" in pl/perl without resorting to pl/perlu?

От
Herouth Maoz
Дата:
I created a function that does some heavy string manipulation, so I needed to use pl/perl rather than pl/pgsql.

I'm not experienced in perl, but the function works well when used as an independent perl subroutine - it depends only
onits arguments. I use the Encode package (in postgresql configuration).

But my use of the "pack" function causes a Safe error. Apparently "pack" and "unpack" are in the operator mask.

Is there any way to remove them from that mask? I don't want to use pl/perlu - it's too unsafe, I think, and its
runningenvironment is different. I just want these two operators.

This is what I'm using "pack" for: I convert a string in the format '43414C4C5F494445' into a binary string, and then,
givena matching text encoding, use "decode" to convert it to proper unicode.

TIA,
Herouth

Re: Is there a way to use "pack" in pl/perl without resorting to pl/perlu?

Дата:
Herouth Maoz <herouth@unicell.co.il> writes:
> I created a function that does some heavy string manipulation, so I needed to use pl/perl rather than pl/pgsql.
> I'm not experienced in perl, but the function works well when used as an independent perl subroutine - it depends
onlyon its arguments. I use the Encode package (in postgresql configuration).

> But my use of the "pack" function causes a Safe error. Apparently "pack" and "unpack" are in the operator mask.

> Is there any way to remove them from that mask?

My recollection is that they're intentionally excluded because they
would otherwise be security holes --- there are some format codes that
allow direct access to memory, or something like that.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Is there a way to use "pack" in pl/perl without resorting to pl/perlu?

От
Herouth Maoz
Дата:
Thanks. I was hoping there was a way to enable individual operators through the postgresql configuration file or something.

Anyway, I replaced the functionality with $content =~ s/([a-fA-F0-9]{2})/chr(hex($1))/eg; which seems to be doing the same thing as unpack( "H*", $content ), which is basically what I needed for the time being. I suspect it's less efficient than unpack, and I hope the function I created won't be too slow for use inside a trigger.

Thanks,
Herouth

On 12/09/2012, at 17:47, Tom Lane wrote:

Herouth Maoz <herouth@unicell.co.il> writes:
I created a function that does some heavy string manipulation, so I needed to use pl/perl rather than pl/pgsql.
I'm not experienced in perl, but the function works well when used as an independent perl subroutine - it depends only on its arguments. I use the Encode package (in postgresql configuration).

But my use of the "pack" function causes a Safe error. Apparently "pack" and "unpack" are in the operator mask.

Is there any way to remove them from that mask?

My recollection is that they're intentionally excluded because they
would otherwise be security holes --- there are some format codes that
allow direct access to memory, or something like that.

חרות מעוז
יוניסל פתרונות סלולריים מתקדמים
☎ 03-5181717 שלוחה 742

Re: Is there a way to use "pack" in pl/perl without resorting to pl/perlu?

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата: