Обсуждение: efficiency of wildcards at both ends

efficiency of wildcards at both ends

От
Sam Z J
Дата:
Hi all

I'm curious how is wildcards at both ends implemented, e.g. LIKE '%str%'
How efficient is it if that's the only search criteria against a large table? how much does indexing the column help and roughly how much more space is needed for the index?

if the answers are too long, please point me to the relavant text =D

thanks

--
Zhongshi (Sam) Jiang
sammyjiang721@gmail.com

Re: efficiency of wildcards at both ends

От
Lonni J Friedman
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Sam Z J <sammyjiang721@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm curious how is wildcards at both ends implemented, e.g. LIKE '%str%'
> How efficient is it if that's the only search criteria against a large
> table? how much does indexing the column help and roughly how much more
> space is needed for the index?
>
> if the answers are too long, please point me to the relavant text =D

My limited understanding is that any time you need to resort to using
wildcards, indices are never used, and you're falling back to using
the inefficient table scan.

Re: efficiency of wildcards at both ends

От
Andy Colson
Дата:
On 6/20/2012 12:10 PM, Sam Z J wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm curious how is wildcards at both ends implemented, e.g. LIKE '%str%'
> How efficient is it if that's the only search criteria against a large
> table? how much does indexing the column help and roughly how much more
> space is needed for the index?
>
> if the answers are too long, please point me to the relavant text =D
>
> thanks
>
> --
> Zhongshi (Sam) Jiang
> sammyjiang721@gmail.com <mailto:sammyjiang721@gmail.com>

An index will not be used for that kind of search.  PG will scan the
entire table to find matches.  PG can only use an index if you have a
search LIKE 'str%'

There are options like full text search, and pg_trgm that you might be
able to use.

-Andy

Re: efficiency of wildcards at both ends

От
Edson Richter
Дата:
AFAIK, wildcards at both ends are not optimized at all, unless you use some sort of specialized index (may be Gist or FullText).
Until 9.1 there is no such "Index Scan" feature, that would help (very little).
Other databases (like MS SQL Server) solve this kind of query by executing an Index Scan, then merge join with rest of the query.

This is all I know about LIKE optimization in PostgreSQL:

LIKE 'str%' -> optimized by normal indexes
LIKE '%str%' -> not optimized. You can use FullText, but then your wildcards will have to change to something not SQL-standard compatible solution...
LIKE '%str' -> can be optimized if you create index with column content reversed then query reversed as well. See code below for details.

How did I optimized "%str" queries (code implemented with help from the PgSql community):

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION reverse(input character varying)
  RETURNS character varying AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
  result character varying = '';
  i int;
BEGIN
  FOR i IN 1..length(input) BY 2 LOOP
    result = substr(input,i+1,1) || substr(input,i,1) || result;
  END LOOP;
  RETURN result;
END$BODY$
  LANGUAGE plpgsql IMMUTABLE STRICT
  COST 100;
create index idx on tb1 (reverse(nome));
select * from tb1 where reverse(nome) like reverse('%RICHTER');

Regards,

Edson.

I'm curious how is wildcards at both ends implemented, e.g. LIKE '%str%'
How efficient is it if that's the only search criteria against a large table? how much does indexing the column help and roughly how much more space is needed for the index?

if the answers are too long, please point me to the relavant text =D

thanks

--
Zhongshi (Sam) Jiang
sammyjiang721@gmail.com

Re: efficiency of wildcards at both ends

От
Edson Richter
Дата:
Just ocurred to me that would be possible to create some sort of "hybrid" solution...

create index idx1 on tb1 (nome);
create index idx2 on tb1 (reverse(nome));

select * from tb1
  where nome like 'CARLOS%' or reverse(nome) like reverse('%CARLOS')

Should return same results as
select * from tb1
  where nome like '%CARLOS%'

I supposed that this hybrid solution will be optmized by the indexes (but at what cost?).

Can some PostgreSQL expert tell if this assumption is right? Would be possible to have PostgreSQL doing that automatically? Something like

create index idx1 on tb1 (nome) with options (optimize wildcards);
select * from tb1 where nome like '%CARLOS%';

and then this get expanded as the example above? Then, what happens with the following query:

select * from tb1 where nome like '%CARLOS%ERICKSSON%';

?

Edson

[...]

Alan Hodgson
Дата:
On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 01:10:03 PM Sam Z J wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm curious how is wildcards at both ends implemented, e.g. LIKE '%str%'
> How efficient is it if that's the only search criteria against a large
> table? how much does indexing the column help and roughly how much more
> space is needed for the index?

Indexing helps not at all. If the search string starts with a wildcard you
will always get a sequential scan of the whole table.

Look at the full text search documentation for a better approach.

Re: efficiency of wildcards at both ends

От
Sam Z J
Дата:
thank you all for the useful information =D

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca> wrote:
On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 01:10:03 PM Sam Z J wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm curious how is wildcards at both ends implemented, e.g. LIKE '%str%'
> How efficient is it if that's the only search criteria against a large
> table? how much does indexing the column help and roughly how much more
> space is needed for the index?

Indexing helps not at all. If the search string starts with a wildcard you
will always get a sequential scan of the whole table.

Look at the full text search documentation for a better approach.

Zhongshi (Sam) Jiang
sammyjiang721@gmail.com

Re: efficiency of wildcards at both ends

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Sam Z J wrote on 20.06.2012 19:10:
> Hi all
>
> I'm curious how is wildcards at both ends implemented, e.g. LIKE '%str%'
> How efficient is it if that's the only search criteria against a large table? how much does indexing the column help
androughly how much more space is needed for the index?

> if the answers are too long, please point me to the relavant text =D

Since 9.1 you can speed up such a query using a trigram index.

http://www.depesz.com/2011/02/19/waiting-for-9-1-faster-likeilike/
http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/212-PostgreSQL-9.1-Trigrams-teaching-LIKE-and-ILIKE-new-tricks.html

Another option might be to use the wildspeed extension

http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/wiki/wildspeed

(never used that myself though)

Re: efficiency of wildcards at both ends

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 06/20/12 10:37 AM, Edson Richter wrote:

> select * from tb1
>   where nome like 'CARLOS%' or reverse(nome) like reverse('%CARLOS')
>
> Should return same results as
> select * from tb1
>   where nome like '%CARLOS%'

no, that won't match 'abcCARLOSxyx'

Re: efficiency of wildcards at both ends

От
Edson Richter
Дата:
Em 20/06/2012 15:03, John R Pierce escreveu:
> On 06/20/12 10:37 AM, Edson Richter wrote:
>>
>> select * from tb1
>>   where nome like 'CARLOS%' or reverse(nome) like reverse('%CARLOS')
>>
>> Should return same results as
>> select * from tb1
>>   where nome like '%CARLOS%'
>
> no, that won't match 'abcCARLOSxyx'

Perfect. I did not realized this case.

Thanks,

Edson.

Re: efficiency of wildcards at both ends

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:

Not necessarily: http://www.depesz.com/2011/02/19/waiting-for-9-1-faster-likeilike/

Re: efficiency of wildcards at both ends

От
Jasen Betts
Дата:
On 2012-06-20, Sam Z J <sammyjiang721@gmail.com> wrote:
> --0016e6d999db24c4c704c2ea7a97
>
> Hi all
>
> I'm curious how is wildcards at both ends implemented, e.g. LIKE '%str%'
> How efficient is it if that's the only search criteria against a large
> table? how much does indexing the column help

fulltextsearch can be abused with a custom lexer that fragments the string in every possible
way and that can be matched against, but not using LIKE.

Works OK on tables with tens of thaousands of rows haven't tried it on
larger rows.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural