Обсуждение: Maxium Share Memory in Debian 64bit

Maxium Share Memory in Debian 64bit

От
Prashant Bharucha
Дата:
Hello All

Could you please help to figure out how much maxium memory can allocated in Shared Memory on Debian 64 bit OS ?

Thx
Prashant

Re: Maxium Share Memory in Debian 64bit

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 02/24/12 11:41 AM, Prashant Bharucha wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Could you please help to figure out how much maxium memory can
> allocated in Shared Memory on Debian 64 bit OS ?

I rarely set shared_buffers over about 2GB even on machines with 48GB or
more ram.   its a case of diminishing returns, and leaving that extra
memory available for OS file system caching (as well as non-shared
things like work_mem, maintenance_work_mem) is usually the better choice.

Re: Maxium Share Memory in Debian 64bit

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Prashant Bharucha
<prashantbharucha@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hello All
>
> Could you please help to figure out how much maxium memory can allocated in Shared Memory on Debian 64 bit OS ?

With appropriate shm settings, you can easily set it high enough to
cause problems with swapping etc.  I've successfully allocated 24G in
testing on a machiine with 128G.  However, in all the testing I did 8G
was the point where we no longer got any performance increase.