Обсуждение: How to store variable data in a field?

How to store variable data in a field?

От
Andre Lopes
Дата:
Hi all,

I need to create a table to store Twitter accounts information,
Facebook and other social networks details for API login. I need to
know if it is possible to store the account details("account_details"
field) in a field that contains something like an array. I need to
store this data in an array like field because the details for each
social network accounts are different. What is my best choice for the
field "account_details"?

CREATE TABLE "account" (
    "id_account" int4 NOT NULL,
    "id_account_type" int4 NOT NULL,
    "n_account" varchar(50) NOT NULL,
    "account_details" varchar NOT NULL,
    "comment" varchar(2000),
  PRIMARY KEY("id_account","id_account_type")
);

I will need to store something like this:

Twitter: array("account_name" => "xpto", "hash1" => "3432454355",
"megahash" => "dfcf786fds987fds897")
Facebook: array("account_name" => "xpto", "fb_special_hash" =>
"dsdsad4535", "fb_security_hash" => "dsadsad454355",
"fb_extended_hash" => "sdasfe5r4536556fsgg")

It is possible to put something like that in a field? If yes, what
datatype should I choose? Pros and cons of doing this?

Best Regards,

Re: How to store variable data in a field?

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Andre Lopes, 21.02.2012 16:11:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to create a table to store Twitter accounts information,
> Facebook and other social networks details for API login. I need to
> know if it is possible to store the account details("account_details"
> field) in a field that contains something like an array. I need to
> store this data in an array like field because the details for each
> social network accounts are different. What is my best choice for the
> field "account_details"?
>
> CREATE TABLE "account" (
>     "id_account" int4 NOT NULL,
>     "id_account_type" int4 NOT NULL,
>     "n_account" varchar(50) NOT NULL,
>     "account_details" varchar NOT NULL,
>     "comment" varchar(2000),
>    PRIMARY KEY("id_account","id_account_type")
> );
>
> I will need to store something like this:
>
> Twitter: array("account_name" =>  "xpto", "hash1" =>  "3432454355",
> "megahash" =>  "dfcf786fds987fds897")
> Facebook: array("account_name" =>  "xpto", "fb_special_hash" =>
> "dsdsad4535", "fb_security_hash" =>  "dsadsad454355",
> "fb_extended_hash" =>  "sdasfe5r4536556fsgg")
>
> It is possible to put something like that in a field? If yes, what
> datatype should I choose? Pros and cons of doing this?

Use the hstore datatype. That's exactly what you are looking for

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/hstore.html

Re: How to store variable data in a field?

От
Bartosz Dmytrak
Дата:
Hi,
I am going to start with quotation: "PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational database system."

So let's use objects (TYPES):
First You have to create proper types:

CREATE TYPE "Facebook" AS
   (account_name text,
    fb_special_hash text,
    fb_security_hash text,
    fb_extended_hash text);

CREATE TYPE "Twitter" AS
   (account_name text,
    hash1 bigint, --assume this is bigint not text
    megahash text);

Next You have to modify Your table to handle types:
ALTER TABLE public.account ADD COLUMN "TweeterInfo" "Twitter";
ALTER TABLE public.account ADD COLUMN "FacebookInfo" "Facebook";

there is nothing special, You simply use Your types as column types.

Next few examples of using types:
insert into table
INSERT INTO public.account(
            id_account, id_account_type, n_account, account_details, comment,
            "TweeterInfo", "FacebookInfo")
    VALUES (1, 2, 'ABc', 'test', 'test comment',
ROW('xpto', 3432454355, 'dfcf786fds987fds897'), ROW('xpto', 'dsdsad4535', 'dsadsad454355', 'sdasfe5r4536556fsgg'));

And SELECT examples:
SELECT *
FROM public.account
WHERE (account."TweeterInfo").account_name = 'xpto';

SELECT (account."TweeterInfo").megahash
FROM public.account
WHERE (account."TweeterInfo").account_name = 'xpto';

You can find more in doc:

To be noticed:
using hstore is good idea too - this type is dedicated to be used with key-value pairs with existing set of build-in functions.

Custom type gives You possibility to create table of this type or function returning this type as row or set of rows.

More SQL oriented solution is to create one/two new tables to store these values, or extend table account with few new columns (if all of them are required).

Regards,
Bartek