Обсуждение: running multiple versions

running multiple versions

От
Heine Ferreira
Дата:
Hi

Is it possible to run more than one instance of Postgresql on Windows?
Can you run different versions simultaneously?
If so can you run different minor versions or only different major versions?
If possible how do you do this?

Thanks

H.F.

Re: running multiple versions

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 02/16/12 2:11 PM, Heine Ferreira wrote:
> Is it possible to run more than one instance of Postgresql on Windows?
> Can you run different versions simultaneously?
> If so can you run different minor versions or only different major
> versions?
> If possible how do you do this?

install to different directories, configure to use different port numbers.

Re: running multiple versions

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Hi,

On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 00:11 +0200, Heine Ferreira wrote:
> [...]
> Is it possible to run more than one instance of Postgresql on Windows?

Yes.

> Can you run different versions simultaneously?

Yes

> If so can you run different minor versions or only different major versions?

Only major versions.

> If possible how do you do this?

You need to have a data directory per version, and you need to set a
different port number. Which is mostly what you'll have using the
PostgreSQL Windows installer.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: running multiple versions

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:17:33 pm Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Hi,

> > If so can you run different minor versions or only different major
> > versions?
>
> Only major versions.

This is a limitation of the Postgres Windows Installer? Compiling from source
would allow running different minor versions.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: running multiple versions

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 15:00 -0800, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:17:33 pm Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> > Hi,
>

> > > If so can you run different minor versions or only different major
> > > versions?
> >
> > Only major versions.
>
> This is a limitation of the Postgres Windows Installer? Compiling from source
> would allow running different minor versions.

Yes, that's right, except that I wouldn't call that a limitation.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

Re: running multiple versions

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 02/16/12 3:00 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> This is a limitation of the Postgres Windows Installer? Compiling from source
> would allow running different minor versions.

probably the windows service names is the sticking point.  you'd need to
create a custom service, which could be done with the 'sc' command
(windows built in utility).

E:\>sc qc postgresql-8.4
[SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: postgresql-8.4
         TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
         START_TYPE         : 2   AUTO_START
         ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL
         BINARY_PATH_NAME   : D:/postgres/8.4/bin/pg_ctl.exe runservice
-N "postgresql-8.4" -D "D:/postgres/8.4/data" -w
         LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   :
         TAG                : 0
         DISPLAY_NAME       : postgresql-8.4 - PostgreSQL Server 8.4
         DEPENDENCIES       : RPCSS
         SERVICE_START_NAME : .\postgres

so, if I was to install 8.4.somethignelse into a different directory,
I'd need to create a seperate service for it, like...

     sc create postgres-8.4.5 binPath="D:/postgres/8.4.5/bin/pg_ctl.exe
runservice -N postgresql-8.4.5 -D D:/postgres/8.4.5/data -w"
          type=own start=auto error=normal DisplayName="postgresql-8.4.5
- PostgreSQL Server 8.4.5" depend=RPCSS
          obj=.\postgres

(thats all one gnarly command line)

then

     sc start postgres-8.4.5

Re: running multiple versions

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:03:45 pm Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 15:00 -0800, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:17:33 pm Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Only major versions.
> >
> > This is a limitation of the Postgres Windows Installer? Compiling from
> > source would allow running different minor versions.
>
> Yes, that's right, except that I wouldn't call that a limitation.

Well from a purely functional standpoint:
1) A user asked if it could be done.
2) The Postgres program allows it to be done.
3) The Windows Installer does not.

That looks like a limit to me:) I am not saying it is good or bad just that it
is a option that does not exist.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: running multiple versions

От
Brent Wood
Дата:
Run them in different locations with different addresses (5432 & 5433 for example)

see this thread:http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2008-02/msg00084.php

Brent Wood

GIS/DBA consultant
NIWA
+64 (4) 4 386-0300
Is it possible to run more than one instance of Postgresql on Windows?
Can you run different versions simultaneously?
If so can you run different minor versions or only different major versions?
If possible how do you do this?

Thanks

H.F.

Re: running multiple versions

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 02/16/12 3:10 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> so, if I was to install 8.4.somethignelse into a different directory,
> I'd need to create a seperate service for it, like...
>
>     sc create postgres-8.4.5 binPath="D:/postgres/8.4.5/bin/pg_ctl.exe
> runservice -N postgresql-8.4.5 -D D:/postgres/8.4.5/data -w"
>          type=own start=auto error=normal
> DisplayName="postgresql-8.4.5 - PostgreSQL Server 8.4.5" depend=RPCSS
>          obj=.\postgres

let me also point out here, I was careful to avoid spaces in the
postgres path.   I don't know how or even if you can quote the paths
properly in the binPath= argument to 'sc create'

the obj= is the username that the service runs as, .\ meaning local as
opposed to domain.