Обсуждение: pg_upgrade: out of memory

pg_upgrade: out of memory

От
deepak
Дата:
Hi!

While running pg_upgrade, on one instance, it ran out of memory during the final stages of upgrade
(just before it starts to "link" old database files to new ones).

We are using Postgres 9.1.1, and I see that there were some fixes to pg_upgrade in 9.1.2, though
it doesn't mention anything about memory issues as such.

Wondering if anyone has run into a similar type of situation, and if so, how to solve it?

Also, is it possible to recover the database once pg_upgrade aborts in this manner?

Here's an excerpt from the log while running pg_upgrade:
"bin/pg_ctl" -w  -D "data"  stop
waiting for server to shut down....LOG:  received smart shutdown request
LOG:  shutting down
.......LOG:  database system is shut down
. done
server stopped
Restoring user relation files
Restoring user relation files
pg_upgrade: out of memory

pg_upgrade: out of memory

Thanks for any pointers,

Deepak

Re: pg_upgrade: out of memory

Дата:
On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 05:14:55PM -0500, deepak wrote:
> Hi!
>
> While running pg_upgrade, on one instance, it ran out of memory during the
> final stages of upgrade
> (just before it starts to "link" old database files to new ones).
>

> We are using Postgres 9.1.1, and I see that there were some fixes to pg_upgrade
> in 9.1.2, though
> it doesn't mention anything about memory issues as such.
>
> Wondering if anyone has run into a similar type of situation, and if so, how to
> solve it?
>
> Also, is it possible to recover the database once pg_upgrade aborts in this
> manner?
>

> Here's an excerpt from the log while running pg_upgrade:
> "bin/pg_ctl" -w  -D "data"  stop
> waiting for server to shut down....LOG:  received smart shutdown request
> LOG:  shutting down
> .......LOG:  database system is shut down
> . done
> server stopped
> Restoring user relation files
> Restoring user relation files
> pg_upgrade: out of memory
>
> pg_upgrade: out of memory

Wow, that's pretty amazing.  As the docs say, pg_upgrade doesn't modify
the old cluster so you should be fine in reverting to that.

As far as why it ran out of memory, I have no idea, and have never heard
of a report about that before.  Can you run it in a debugger and get a
backtrace?