Обсуждение: Dated Version of PostgreSQL

Dated Version of PostgreSQL

От
Carlos Mennens
Дата:
I've been asked to stand up a dedicated database server for a new
office. They're only requirement is the server run RHEL 6.2 64-bit. I
told them no problem as I'm very familiar with Linux and installing /
configuring PostgreSQL. So after I've installed RHEL 6.2, I then
installed PostgreSQL and the only version available in the Red Hat Yum
repositories was 8.4.9. I called them and they told me that this is
why Red Hat is extremely popular due to stability. They don't support
bleeding edge release packages. My question is how exactly would I
install the latest version of PostgreSQL (9.1.2) on RHEL 6.2? Is there
an unsupported RPM for 9.1.2? How do you guys who manage Red Hat
servers install recent versions of PostgreSQL?

Thanks for any help!

Re: Dated Version of PostgreSQL

От
Carlos Mennens
Дата:
Yeah I absolutely despise Gentoo for that exact reason. I don't have
that kind of time and patience to spend on keeping my system up and
running. I've spoken with the team and we've agreed to install Debian
Linux which is my distribution of choice and it supports 9.1.2.

Thanks!

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto.d.sera@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> no, usually it's a three step thing: configure, make, make install. However,
> I suggest you have a look at the README file in the source code. I always
> compile my own stuff as I run gentoo (so no binaries at all around) but each
> distro has its own peculiar things. Bear in mind that binaries usually have
> no header files for needed dependancies, so you'll probably need to install
> a number of -dev packages to get what you need.
>
> Being online on irc in the channel that deals with your distro might help.
> However, the worst that can happen is that it stops before compiling, so no
> big deal.
>
> Bèrto
>

> On 30 December 2011 18:59, Carlos Mennens <carlos.mennens@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've never compiled anything from source. Is this difficult if I've
>> never done so on *NIX systems?
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto.d.sera@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi!

>> > Why don't you just compile it from source? If it has to be unsupported
>> > anyway, then this is probably much quicker.
>> >
>> > Bèrto
>> >
>> > --
>> > ==============================
>> > If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in a
>> > darkened
>> > room munching pills and listening to repetitive music.
>

> --
> ==============================
> If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened
> room munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Re: Dated Version of PostgreSQL

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 11:50 -0500, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> My question is how exactly would I
> install the latest version of PostgreSQL (9.1.2) on RHEL 6.2?

We have PostgreSQL yum repository:

http://yum.postgresql.org

Install repository RPM first:

http://yum.postgresql.org/9.1/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-redhat91-9.1-5.noarch.rpm

and now you can install PostgreSQL 9.1 with:

yum install postgresql91-server

http://yum.postgresql.org/9.1/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/repoview/

has the full list of packages for RHEL 6 - PostgreSQL 9.1. You can also
find lots of 3rd party software.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Dated Version of PostgreSQL

От
Carlos Mennens
Дата:
2011/12/30 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 11:50 -0500, Carlos Mennens wrote:
>> My question is how exactly would I
>> install the latest version of PostgreSQL (9.1.2) on RHEL 6.2?
>
> We have PostgreSQL yum repository:
>
> http://yum.postgresql.org
>
> Install repository RPM first:
>
> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.1/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-redhat91-9.1-5.noarch.rpm
>
> and now you can install PostgreSQL 9.1 with:
>
> yum install postgresql91-server
>
> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.1/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/repoview/
>
> has the full list of packages for RHEL 6 - PostgreSQL 9.1. You can also
> find lots of 3rd party software.

Oh that's amazing! Question, how do you keep this package updated?
Does it auto update when a new version is released and I run the 'yum
upgrade postgresql' command or do I need to run a special command to
update off this special repository?

Re: Dated Version of PostgreSQL

От
devrim@gunduz.org
Дата:
This message has been digitally signed by the sender.
Вложения

Re: Dated Version of PostgreSQL

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 12:42 -0500, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> Question, how do you keep this package updated?
> Does it auto update when a new version is released and I run the 'yum
> upgrade postgresql' command or do I need to run a special command to
> update off this special repository?

yum update postgresql91* is enough.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Dated Version of PostgreSQL