Обсуждение: Correct syntax to create partial index on a boolean column

Correct syntax to create partial index on a boolean column

От
Mike Christensen
Дата:
For the boolean column Foo in Table1, if I want to index all values of
TRUE, is this syntax correct?

CREATE INDEX IDX_MyIndex ON Table1(Foo) WHERE Foo;

The query:

SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE Foo;

should use the index, and:

SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE NOT Foo;

should not, correct?

I just want to make sure I don't need an operator on the WHERE clause.  Thanks!

Mike

Re: Correct syntax to create partial index on a boolean column

От
Mike Christensen
Дата:
> For the boolean column Foo in Table1, if I want to index all values of
> TRUE, is this syntax correct?
>
> CREATE INDEX IDX_MyIndex ON Table1(Foo) WHERE Foo;
>
> The query:
>
> SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE Foo;
>
> should use the index, and:
>
> SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE NOT Foo;
>
> should not, correct?
>
> I just want to make sure I don't need an operator on the WHERE clause.  Thanks!

FYI, I've posted this on StackOverflow too in case anyone wants to
score some points..

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8514923/postgres-is-this-the-right-way-to-create-a-partial-index-on-a-boolean-column

I'm 90% sure this is the right way to do it though.

Mike

Re: Correct syntax to create partial index on a boolean column

От
Mike Christensen
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Mike Christensen <mike@kitchenpc.com> wrote:
>> For the boolean column Foo in Table1, if I want to index all values of
>> TRUE, is this syntax correct?
>>
>> CREATE INDEX IDX_MyIndex ON Table1(Foo) WHERE Foo;
>>
>> The query:
>>
>> SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE Foo;
>>
>> should use the index, and:
>>
>> SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE NOT Foo;
>>
>> should not, correct?
>>
>> I just want to make sure I don't need an operator on the WHERE clause.  Thanks!
>
> FYI, I've posted this on StackOverflow too in case anyone wants to
> score some points..

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8514923/postgres-is-this-the-right-way-to-create-a-partial-index-on-a-boolean-column

> I'm 90% sure this is the right way to do it though.
>
> Mike

I've confirmed the index works as expected.

I created 10,000 rows of random data, and set `diet_glutenfree` to
`random() > 0.9` so there's only a 10% chance of an `on` bit.

I then re-created the indexes and tried the query again.

    SELECT RecipeId from RecipeMetadata where diet_glutenfree;

Returns:

    'Index Scan using idx_recipemetadata_glutenfree on recipemetadata
(cost=0.00..135.15 rows=1030 width=16)'
    '  Index Cond: (diet_glutenfree = true)'

And:

    SELECT RecipeId from RecipeMetadata where NOT diet_glutenfree;

Returns:

    'Seq Scan on recipemetadata  (cost=0.00..214.26 rows=8996 width=16)'
    '  Filter: (NOT diet_glutenfree)'

So, it will definitely use the index when I query for ON values.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to verify the number of rows
that are indexed on a partial query?

Mike

Re: Correct syntax to create partial index on a boolean column

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 15 Dec 2011, at 5:43, Mike Christensen wrote:

> For the boolean column Foo in Table1, if I want to index all values of
> TRUE, is this syntax correct?
>
> CREATE INDEX IDX_MyIndex ON Table1(Foo) WHERE Foo;
>
> The query:
>
> SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE Foo;
>
> should use the index, and:
>
> SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE NOT Foo;
>
> should not, correct?

Correct, but...
That's not a particularly useful index to create. That index just contains values of true where the associated column
equalstrue - you're storing the same information twice.

It's generally more useful to index a column with values that you're likely to be interested in for limiting the result
setfurther or for sorting or some-such, as long as the operation performed benefits from using an index.

From your later example, for instance:

   SELECT RecipeId from RecipeMetadata where diet_glutenfree;

If you plan to use this query in a join, an index like this would be more useful:

   CREATE INDEX recipemetadata_recipeid_glutenfree_idx ON RecipeMetadata(RecipeId) WHERE diet_glutenfree;

That's a bit similar to creating an index on (RecipeId, diet_glutenfree), except that the latter also contains entries
thatare not gluten-free of course.

Alban Hertroys

--
The scale of a problem often equals the size of an ego.

Re: Correct syntax to create partial index on a boolean column

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Дата:
Mike Christensen wrote:
> For the boolean column Foo in Table1, if I want to index all values of
> TRUE, is this syntax correct?
>
> CREATE INDEX IDX_MyIndex ON Table1(Foo) WHERE Foo;

Yes, that is correct.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Correct syntax to create partial index on a boolean column

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 12/15/2011 03:53 PM, Alban Hertroys wrote:
> Correct, but...
> That's not a particularly useful index to create. That index just contains values of true where the associated column
equalstrue - you're storing the same information twice.
It could be very handy if you have an extremely high selectivity index
(say 1:1000 or more) where you want to keep the index tiny, fast, and
very quick to scan.

I guess ideally Pg would be able to deduce that the index value is
always the same and just store a page list rather than a b-tree, but
it's a bit of a tiny use case.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Correct syntax to create partial index on a boolean column

От
Mike Christensen
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:
> On 12/15/2011 03:53 PM, Alban Hertroys wrote:
>>
>> Correct, but...
>> That's not a particularly useful index to create. That index just contains
>> values of true where the associated column equals true - you're storing the
>> same information twice.
>
> It could be very handy if you have an extremely high selectivity index (say
> 1:1000 or more) where you want to keep the index tiny, fast, and very quick
> to scan.
>
> I guess ideally Pg would be able to deduce that the index value is always
> the same and just store a page list rather than a b-tree, but it's a bit of
> a tiny use case.

The partial index is definitely a lot smaller.

BTW, this table (RecipeMetadata) will only ever be used in a join.  I
will never query it directly.  But I'll query Recipes and join in
RecipeMetadata.

Re: Correct syntax to create partial index on a boolean column

Дата:
Mike Christensen <mike@kitchenpc.com> writes:
> BTW, this table (RecipeMetadata) will only ever be used in a join.  I
> will never query it directly.  But I'll query Recipes and join in
> RecipeMetadata.

In that case possibly you want the join key to be the index payload.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Correct syntax to create partial index on a boolean column

От
Jay Levitt
Дата:
Craig Ringer wrote: