Обсуждение: query for all values linked to a field

query for all values linked to a field

От
anisoptera
Дата:
hi,

i'm trying to output all values that can be reached from a specific record
by a foreign key link.

for example, if tblimage has image_id, image_info and tblstack has
stack_id=tblimage.image_id, stack_info_1, stack_info_2
i want to be able to get image_id, image_info, stack_info_1, stack_info_2.

of course, my database has many more tables and links. i can use
information_schema to get the links and recursively troll through all the
tables, i was just wondering if there's a way to do this with one query
instead of programmatically.

thanks,
jenn

Re: query for all values linked to a field

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 2:37 PM, anisoptera <dragonfly@elseworld.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm trying to output all values that can be reached from a specific record
> by a foreign key link.
>
> for example, if tblimage has image_id, image_info and tblstack has
> stack_id=tblimage.image_id, stack_info_1, stack_info_2
> i want to be able to get image_id, image_info, stack_info_1, stack_info_2.
>
> of course, my database has many more tables and links. i can use
> information_schema to get the links and recursively troll through all the
> tables, i was just wondering if there's a way to do this with one query
> instead of programmatically.

I didn't quite parse that.    Using recursive queries, it should be
able to pretty easily query out, given a table name, all tables that
link to that table and the columns of the keys in the constraints
(and, if necessary, the links from other tables to those tables).

If I was looking for specific *records*, not tables and columns, I
would probably be generating a query from the above.  (If I'm
understanding you properly that is).

merlin

Re: query for all values linked to a field

От
anisoptera
Дата:
Merlin Moncure-2 wrote

> I didn't quite parse that.    Using recursive queries, it should be
> able to pretty easily query out, given a table name, all tables that
> link to that table and the columns of the keys in the constraints
> (and, if necessary, the links from other tables to those tables).
>
> If I was looking for specific *records*, not tables and columns, I
> would probably be generating a query from the above.  (If I'm
> understanding you properly that is).

i'm trying to get all the values linked to a specific record, ideally with
table/column names.
so my output (given the structure i showed above) would be more like:
tblimage   image_id        image_id-value
tblimage   image_info     image_info-value
tblstack    stack_info_1  stack_info-value
tblstack    stack_info_2  stack_info-value

i didn't know about recursive queries; guess i'll start by looking that up.

thanks,
jenn
 i didn't know about recursive queries; i'll look that up.