Обсуждение: concat(NULL,NULL) returns empty string

concat(NULL,NULL) returns empty string

От
Ingmar Brouns

The documentation of the function concat states: Concatenate all arguments. NULL arguments are ignored.
Intuitively I would expect that

concat(NULL, NULL) IS NULL

but this is not the case as it equals the empty string. As no empty string was passed, the empty string seems
to come from nowhere. I found this behavior not immediately clear from the documentation..

Kind regards,

Ingmar Brouns

Re: concat(NULL,NULL) returns empty string

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hello

2011/12/8 Ingmar Brouns <swingi@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> The documentation of the function concat states: Concatenate all arguments.
> NULL arguments are ignored.
> Intuitively I would expect that
>
> concat(NULL, NULL) IS NULL
>
> but this is not the case as it equals the empty string. As no empty string
> was passed, the empty string seems
> to come from nowhere. I found this behavior not immediately clear from the
> documentation..

yes - it returns empty string - concat is "barier" to nulls

it should be better documented

Regards

Pavel Stehule