Обсуждение: pg_dump of a v8.3.4 -> v9.0.1

pg_dump of a v8.3.4 -> v9.0.1

От
"Gauthier, Dave"

Hi:

I have a pg_dump pf a v8.3.4 DB that I would like to bring into a v9.0.1 PG instance.  What is the best way to do this?  Note, the dump file is too big to fit into an editor, but I could sed it if need be.

Thanks.

Re: pg_dump of a v8.3.4 -> v9.0.1

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/23/2011 08:08 AM, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a pg_dump pf a v8.3.4 DB that I would like to bring into a v9.0.1
> PG instance. What is the best way to do this? Note, the dump file is too
> big to fit into an editor, but I could sed it if need be.

Did you do the data dump using the 8.3.4 version of pg_dump or the 9.0.1?

If you used the newer version the dump format should not cause you any
problems. What you will need to do is read the release notes for the
version 8.4 and 9.0 for any changes that may affect your data once it is
in the database.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: pg_dump of a v8.3.4 -> v9.0.1

От
"Gauthier, Dave"
Дата:
I used pg_dump v 8.3.4, but I could rerun using v9.0.1.  I was thinking that pg_dump v9 would refuse to play right with
thev8 DB.  Is that a false assumption?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: pg_dump of a v8.3.4 -> v9.0.1

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/23/2011 08:50 AM, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> I used pg_dump v 8.3.4, but I could rerun using v9.0.1.  I was thinking that pg_dump v9 would refuse to play right
withthe v8 DB.  Is that a false assumption?

Yes.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/app-pgdump.html

"Because pg_dump is used to transfer data to newer versions of
PostgreSQL, the output of pg_dump can be expected to load into
PostgreSQL server versions newer than pg_dump's version. pg_dump can
also dump from PostgreSQL servers older than its own version.
(Currently, servers back to version 7.0 are supported.) However, pg_dump
cannot dump from PostgreSQL servers newer than its own major version; it
will refuse to even try, rather than risk making an invalid dump. Also,
it is not guaranteed that pg_dump's output can be loaded into a server
of an older major version — not even if the dump was taken from a server
of that version. Loading a dump file into an older server may require
manual editing of the dump file to remove syntax not understood by the
older server. "

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com