Обсуждение: DB Dump

DB Dump

От
"Bob Pawley"
Дата:
Hi

PostgreSQL v9.0
Win 7

I am using the following to dump a database.

I get an error – “could not open output file “.........backup”. Permission denied.”

To me, this sounds as if I am required to create an output file in order to get an output file.

In previous versions the output file was created as part of the transaction.

What am I missing?

pg_dump -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -v -f "PDW_cp_Nov_2011.backup" PDW

Bob

Re: DB Dump

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 08:58 -0800, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> PostgreSQL v9.0
> Win 7
>
> I am using the following to dump a database.
>
> I get an error – “could not open output file “.........backup”. Permission denied.”
>
> To me, this sounds as if I am required to create an output file in order to get an output file.
>
> In previous versions the output file was created as part of the transaction.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> pg_dump -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -v -f "PDW_cp_Nov_2011.backup" PDW

I suppose it means that the "PDW_cp_Nov_2011.backup" file already exists
but the OS user executing pg_dump has no right to overwrite it.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: DB Dump

От
"Bob Pawley"
Дата:
The file doesn't exist.

Just in case, I modified the dump to pg_dump -h localhost -p 5432 -U
postgres -v -f "PDW2_cp_Nov_2011.backup" PDW and got the same error.

Bob

On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 08:58 -0800, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> PostgreSQL v9.0
> Win 7
>
> I am using the following to dump a database.
>
> I get an error – “could not open output file “.........backup”. Permission
> denied.”
>
> To me, this sounds as if I am required to create an output file in order
> to get an output file.
>
> In previous versions the output file was created as part of the
> transaction.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> pg_dump -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -v -f "PDW_cp_Nov_2011.backup"
> PDW

I suppose it means that the "PDW_cp_Nov_2011.backup" file already exists
but the OS user executing pg_dump has no right to overwrite it.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
  http://www.dalibo.com

Re: DB Dump

От
"Bob Pawley"
Дата:
Following is a copy of the end of running the dump -

pg_dump: saving standard_conforming_strings = off
pg_dump: saving database definition
pg_dump: [archiver] could not open output file "PDW_cp_Nov_2011.backup":
Permiss
ion denied
pg_dump: *** aborted because of error

Bob

On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 08:58 -0800, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> PostgreSQL v9.0
> Win 7
>
> I am using the following to dump a database.
>
> I get an error – “could not open output file “.........backup”. Permission
> denied.”
>
> To me, this sounds as if I am required to create an output file in order
> to get an output file.
>
> In previous versions the output file was created as part of the
> transaction.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> pg_dump -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -v -f "PDW_cp_Nov_2011.backup"
> PDW

I suppose it means that the "PDW_cp_Nov_2011.backup" file already exists
but the OS user executing pg_dump has no right to overwrite it.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
  http://www.dalibo.com

Re: DB Dump

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/09/2011 09:58 AM, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Following is a copy of the end of running the dump -
>
> pg_dump: saving standard_conforming_strings = off
> pg_dump: saving database definition
> pg_dump: [archiver] could not open output file "PDW_cp_Nov_2011.backup":
> Permiss
> ion denied
> pg_dump: *** aborted because of error

You don't have permission to the directory where this file is being saved.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: DB Dump

От
"Bob Pawley"
Дата:
I'm logged on to my computer as an administrator(and am the only user). What
other permission do I need??

Bob

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: DB Dump

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 09/11/2011 17:53, Bob Pawley wrote:
> The file doesn't exist.
>
> Just in case, I modified the dump to pg_dump -h localhost -p 5432 -U
> postgres -v -f "PDW2_cp_Nov_2011.backup" PDW and got the same error.

Hi Bob,

It sounds as if (as Guillaume suggested) the OS user you're working
under doesn't have permission to write to the output directory.

Check the permissions on the directory and see if that's the case.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: DB Dump

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 09/11/2011 18:05, Bob Pawley wrote:
> I'm logged on to my computer as an administrator(and am the only user).
> What other permission do I need??

Well, does the administrator have write permission to the directory?

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: DB Dump

От
"Bob Pawley"
Дата:
Opening Command Prompt as administrator solved my problem.

Thanks everybody.

Bob

> I'm logged on to my computer as an administrator(and am the only user).
> What other permission do I need??

Well, does the administrator have write permission to the directory?

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: DB Dump

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 11/09/11 11:09 AM, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Opening Command Prompt as administrator solved my problem.

thats a terrible solution.

rather, you should be writing your backups to a directory that the
current user has permissions to write to.  or if the directory you're
using is specifically the one you want to use, then grant the
appropriate user write privs to it.