Обсуждение: psqlODBC connection

psqlODBC connection

I have installed psqlODBC  and I can see the dll files in the bin folder. But what shall I do next to connect My ASP page? Please help.

Thanks,

Mamatha

Re: psqlODBC connection

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 19/10/2011 07:26, Mamatha_Kagathi_Chan@DELL.com wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have installed psqlODBC  and I can see the dll files in the bin
> folder. But what shall I do next to connect My ASP page? Please help.

I moved away from ASP a long time ago, so memory is rusty, but here goes:

(i) Go to the ODBC data sources manager (under Administrative tools on
my Windows 7 laptop)

(ii) Create a new data source, using the PostgreSQL ODBC driver.

(iii) In your ASP page, do something like:

   dim conn
   set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
   conn.Open "DSN=your_data_source_name"

This is using classic ASP, mind you, not ASP.NET - the latter may be
different.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: psqlODBC connection

От
Edson Richter
Дата:
I have installed psqlODBC  and I can see the dll files in the bin
folder. But what shall I do next to connect My ASP page? Please help.
I moved away from ASP a long time ago, so memory is rusty, but here goes:

(i) Go to the ODBC data sources manager (under Administrative tools on
my Windows 7 laptop)
(ii) Create a new data source, using the PostgreSQL ODBC driver.

As far as I know, it must be an "System DNS"...

Also, you shall not use 32 bit driver on 64bit OS. If you need to do so, then you should use the ODBCADM.exe that can be found on System/WOW64 folder (or something similar).

Good luck,

Edson.
(iii) In your ASP page, do something like:
  dim conn  set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")  conn.Open "DSN=your_data_source_name"

This is using classic ASP, mind you, not ASP.NET - the latter may be
different.

Ray.

--

Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
SimKorp Informática Ltda

Вложения

Re: psqlODBC connection

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 19/10/2011 18:15, Edson Richter wrote:
> Em 19-10-2011 15:08, Raymond O'Donnell escreveu:
>> On 19/10/2011 07:26, Mamatha_Kagathi_Chan@DELL.com wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I have installed psqlODBC  and I can see the dll files in the bin
>>> folder. But what shall I do next to connect My ASP page? Please help.
>> I moved away from ASP a long time ago, so memory is rusty, but here goes:
>>
>> (i) Go to the ODBC data sources manager (under Administrative tools on
>> my Windows 7 laptop)
>> (ii) Create a new data source, using the PostgreSQL ODBC driver.
>>
> As far as I know, it must be an "System DNS"...

Yes, I think that's so - IIRC, a "User DSN" is only available to the
user who created it.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: psqlODBC connection

От
Дата:
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the help. Since I am using classic ASP this is exactly what I am looking for. But there is a problem here.
WhenI go the "Create New Data Source" window as mentioned in step ii, Ifind only sql server and Oracle drivers. I do
notsee PostgreSQL ODBC driver. But I am sure PsqlODBC is installed as it appears in the installed program list. Is
thereanything else I am missing, because of which the driver does not appear in the source?? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Mamatha

> I have installed psqlODBC  and I can see the dll files in the bin
> folder. But what shall I do next to connect My ASP page? Please help.

I moved away from ASP a long time ago, so memory is rusty, but here goes:

(i) Go to the ODBC data sources manager (under Administrative tools on my Windows 7 laptop)

(ii) Create a new data source, using the PostgreSQL ODBC driver.

(iii) In your ASP page, do something like:

   dim conn
   set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
   conn.Open "DSN=your_data_source_name"

This is using classic ASP, mind you, not ASP.NET - the latter may be different.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: psqlODBC connection

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 20/10/2011 05:23, Mamatha_Kagathi_Chan@DELL.com wrote:
> Hi Ray,
>
> Thanks for the help. Since I am using classic ASP this is exactly
> what I am looking for. But there is a problem here. When I go the
> "Create New Data Source" window as mentioned in step ii, Ifind only
> sql server and Oracle drivers. I do not see PostgreSQL ODBC driver.
> But I am sure PsqlODBC is installed as it appears in the installed
> program list. Is there anything else I am missing, because of which
> the driver does not appear in the source?? Please let me know.

Hi Mamatha,

As Edson said upthread, you might have installed the 32-bit driver on
64-bit Windows, in which case you have to use the 32-bit ODBC manager.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: psqlODBC connection

От
Дата:
Thanks Ray and Edson, I was able to finally connect. And the ODBCAD32.exe for 32 as well as 64 bit compatible was
presentin SYSWOW64 folder. This ODBCAD32.exe contained the PostgreSQL driver in DNS window. Thanks for all the inputs
whichhelped me to figure out the driver and connection string.

Cheers,
Mamatha