Обсуждение: dll files missing in postgrsql bin folder in Windows

dll files missing in postgrsql bin folder in Windows

От
Kalai R
Дата:
Hi,

I am facing this strange problem where my postgres service couldn't start because of some missing dll files in installation directory's bin folder.
I copied files from other machine and it start working again. After some time the same problem appeared again on system reboot.
I have no idea what causes these files to be deleted automatically. Please help if anyone has faced this kind of situation.

I' m using version 9.0 on Windows 7

Thanks

Re: dll files missing in postgrsql bin folder in Windows

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 14 Oct 2011, at 12:25, Kalai R wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am facing this strange problem where my postgres service couldn't start because of some missing dll files in
installationdirectory's bin folder.
> I copied files from other machine and it start working again. After some time the same problem appeared again on
systemreboot.
> I have no idea what causes these files to be deleted automatically. Please help if anyone has faced this kind of
situation.

> I' m using version 9.0 on Windows 7

Probably the same issue as in "[GENERAL] Tablespace files deleted during continuous run", or at least very similar in
nature.

* Check that you don't have anti-virus software that (correctly or incorrectly) identified those dll's as infected with
avirus and removed them.
* Check that your file-system is undamaged.
* Check that windows hasn't been restoring a checkpoint with those dll's not installed.

If the database wasn't installed on a local file-system, check that the remote file-system is functioning properly and
doesn'tcache an old state or something similarly silly.

Postgres doesn't remove any dll's, so it's some external factor at play here.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

Re: dll files missing in postgrsql bin folder in Windows

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Kalai R wrote:
> I am facing this strange problem where my postgres service couldn't
start because of some missing dll
> files in installation directory's bin folder.
> I copied files from other machine and it start working again. After
some time the same problem
> appeared again on system reboot.
> I have no idea what causes these files to be deleted automatically.
Please help if anyone has faced
> this kind of situation.
>
> I' m using version 9.0 on Windows 7

The obvious suspect is antivirus software. If you are running any, turn
it off.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: dll files missing in postgrsql bin folder in Windows

От
Kalai R
Дата:
Hi,

I find out the problem.
Windows has been restoring a checkpoint with those dll's not installed.

I don't know how to inatall dll.
Please help me to install those dll's in windows.

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:
On 14 Oct 2011, at 12:25, Kalai R wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am facing this strange problem where my postgres service couldn't start because of some missing dll files in installation directory's bin folder.
> I copied files from other machine and it start working again. After some time the same problem appeared again on system reboot.
> I have no idea what causes these files to be deleted automatically. Please help if anyone has faced this kind of situation.
>
> I' m using version 9.0 on Windows 7

Probably the same issue as in "[GENERAL] Tablespace files deleted during continuous run", or at least very similar in nature.

* Check that you don't have anti-virus software that (correctly or incorrectly) identified those dll's as infected with a virus and removed them.
* Check that your file-system is undamaged.
* Check that windows hasn't been restoring a checkpoint with those dll's not installed.

If the database wasn't installed on a local file-system, check that the remote file-system is functioning properly and doesn't cache an old state or something similarly silly.

Postgres doesn't remove any dll's, so it's some external factor at play here.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

Re: dll files missing in postgrsql bin folder in Windows

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 10/14/11 4:59 PM, Kalai R wrote:
> I find out the problem.
> Windows has been restoring a checkpoint with those dll's not installed.
> I don't know how to inatall dll.
> Please help me to install those dll's in windows.

how to install *what* DLL's ?

Re: dll files missing in postgrsql bin folder in Windows

От
Brar Piening
Дата:
John R Pierce wrote:
> how to install *what* DLL's ?

This is probably part of the problem - if some files are gone it's
sometimes hard to find out which ones ;-)

So let's see for my 64-bit installation...

PS C:\Users\Brar> & "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.0\bin\pg_config.exe"
| where { $_ -match "version"}
get-childitem "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.0\bin" | sort extension,
name | format-table name -GroupBy extension

VERSION = PostgreSQL 9.0.5

    Extension: .dll

Name
----
libeay32.dll
libiconv.dll
libintl.dll
libpq.dll
libxml2.dll
libxslt.dll
msvcr71.dll
ssleay32.dll
zlib1.dll

    Extension: .exe

Name
----
clusterdb.exe
createdb.exe
createlang.exe
createuser.exe
dropdb.exe
droplang.exe
dropuser.exe
ecpg.exe
initdb.exe
oid2name.exe
pg_archivecleanup.exe
pg_config.exe
pg_controldata.exe
pg_ctl.exe
pg_dump.exe
pg_dumpall.exe
pg_regress.exe
pg_regress_ecpg.exe
pg_resetxlog.exe
pg_restore.exe
pg_standby.exe
pg_upgrade.exe
pgAdmin3.exe
pgbench.exe
postgres.exe
psql.exe
reindexdb.exe
stackbuilder.exe
vacuumdb.exe
vacuumlo.exe
zic.exe

Kalai R wrote:
> Windows has been restoring a checkpoint with those dll's not installed.
> I don't know how to inatall dll.
> Please help me to install those dll's in windows.
Personally I wouldn't bother reinstalling single dll files (how do you
know that there are no other files that you will miss at some point) but
reinstall postgresql.

if there are good reasons not to do so you could probably download the
postgresql binary distribution that *exactly matches your existing one
(bitness and minor version)* as zip file from
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgbindownload.do and get the
missing files from the zip archive.

Regards,

Brar

Re: dll files missing in postgrsql bin folder in Windows

От
Kalai R
Дата:
Hi,
 If  binary files are missed,  I copy them then service start. But sometimes I have the situation no one dll files are missed. But the service does not start. I don't know when will this happen and also I don't know why this happen. In this situation I have uninstall the  postgres and reinstall. Then the service start properly.

please suggest, what are the configurations should I do in postgres to avoid these problem.
Thank You

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Brar Piening <brar@gmx.de> wrote:
Kalai R wrote:
Windows has been restoring a checkpoint with those dll's not installed.
I don't know how to inatall dll.
Please help me to install those dll's in windows.
Personally I wouldn't bother reinstalling single dll files (how do you know that there are no other files that you will miss at some point) but reinstall postgresql.

if there are good reasons not to do so you could probably download the postgresql binary distribution that *exactly matches your existing one (bitness and minor version)* as zip file from http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgbindownload.do and get the missing files from the zip archive.

Regards,

Brar

Re: dll files missing in postgrsql bin folder in Windows

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 10 November 2011 08:56, Kalai R <softlinne.kv@gmail.com> wrote:
> please suggest, what are the configurations should I do in postgres to avoid
> these problem.
> Thank You

None, it's not a Postgres problem. Most likely it is a problem with
your Windows installation.
You have files disappearing, something is doing that and it's not
Postgres. Fix that and then reinstall Postgres and everything should
be fine.