Обсуждение: Tablespace files deleted during continuous run

Tablespace files deleted during continuous run

От
"Vishnu S."

HI,

I am using PostgreSQL 8.4 in windows.  I have  created a database and some tables on it. Also created a table space and some tables in it.

My application inserts data into these tables in every second. The application is a continuous running application.

My issue is that after a 20-30 days continuous run ( Machine logged off  2 times), some of the files in the  \16384 folder of newly created table space are dropped automatically.

Can  you tell me the reason for this.?  How can we recover from this?

I have a task that delete the data(only data stored in table) from the tables in the tablespace in certain interval.  Is there any problem related to this?

Can you tell me the reason for this?

Thanks & Regards,

Vishnu S

***** Confidentiality Statement/Disclaimer *****

This message and any attachments is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient. It may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use, dissemination or modification is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately then delete it from all your systems, and do not copy, use or print. Internet communications are not secure and it is the responsibility of the recipient to make sure that it is virus/malicious code exempt.
The company/sender cannot be responsible for any unauthorized alterations or modifications made to the contents. If you require any form of confirmation of the contents, please contact the company/sender. The company/sender is not liable for any errors or omissions in the content of this message.

Re: Tablespace files deleted during continuous run

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Vishnu S. <vishnu.s@nestgroup.net> wrote:

> HI,
>
> I am using PostgreSQL 8.4 in windows.  I have  created a database and some
> tables on it. Also created a table space and some tables in it.
>
> My application inserts data into these tables in every second. The
> application is a continuous running application.
>
> My issue is that after a 20-30 days continuous run ( Machine logged off  2
> times), some of the files in the  \16384 folder of newly created table space
> are dropped automatically.
>
> Can  you tell me the reason for this.?  How can we recover from this?

You're gonna have to tell us more about your setup, how you created
the tablespace etc.  You're not giving anyone enough information to
help you just yet.

Re: Tablespace files deleted during continuous run

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Vishnu S. <vishnu.s@nestgroup.net> wrote:

> I am using PostgreSQL 8.4 in windows.  I have  created a database and some
> tables on it. Also created a table space and some tables in it.
>
> My application inserts data into these tables in every second. The
> application is a continuous running application.
>
> My issue is that after a 20-30 days continuous run ( Machine logged off  2
> times), some of the files in the  \16384 folder of newly created table space
> are dropped automatically.

Since you're running Windows my number 1 suspect would be anti virus software

Re: Tablespace files deleted during continuous run

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Vishnu S. <vishnu.s@nestgroup.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> The tablespace is created using CREATE TABLESPACE query.

Is it a local drive?  USB or eSATA maybe?

> Also Slony-I replication is working on the tablespace for Master - slave implementation.

should work.  I've done it before with no problems.

> The machine has logged off 5-6 times without stopping the server.

Do you mean that it's logged off the local user who was logged in?

> Is there any problem on it. If yes why this is happening?
>
> I have an application that deletes data from the tables that are in the tablespace.
> The Query used for deletion is DELETE FROM <table> WHERE <condition>.
>

> Also the tablespace contains about 7-8 GB data. Is there any problem in it.
> Is there any size limit for tablespace in PostgreSQL.(Documentation says no).

7 to 8 gig is small by pg standards.

> The problem was occurred twice. In first situation all the files in the tablespace are get deleted.
> In second condition some folders in  \16384 was present. But the files including the PG_VERSION are get deleted.

Well something is deleting the files, and it's not likely postgres.

> No anti virus application is installed on the system.(Both in master and slave)
> Is there any possibility that Slony-I will delete the tablespace files?

Nope.  Any odd power outages or disconnected drives?  chkdsk finding
problems on bootup etc?

Re: Tablespace files deleted during continuous run

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Vishnu S. <vishnu.s@nestgroup.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> The tablespace is created using CREATE TABLESPACE query.
>
> Is it a local drive?  USB or eSATA maybe?

Also is it formatted NTFS?  FAT? remote mounted via a network share? etc.