Обсуждение: Getting PostGIS 1.5.3 working with Postgresql90 (Macports)

Getting PostGIS 1.5.3 working with Postgresql90 (Macports)

От
René Fournier
Дата:
What I want to do is import some shape files, using the shp2pgsql loader. However, I need a database first, and I've read I need to make it spatially aware, which means creating it from the "template_postgis". All the docs I read indicate that template_postgis should be present after installing PostGIS. But… When I try to create a database from that template, I'm told it's missing.

> createdb -T template_postgis demo -U postgres

createdb: database creation failed: ERROR:  template database "template_postgis" does not exist

I've found tutorials on creating your own postgis template ( http://www.lincolnritter.com/blog/2007/12/04/installing-postgresql-postgis-and-more-on-os-x-leopard/ ), but I'd like to use what appears to be the standard one. Actually, I wondered if PostGIS was even running (Macports indicates it's installed and active):

> sudo port installed | grep postg

  postgis @1.5.3_0+postgresql90 (active)
  postgresql90 @9.0.5_0 (active)
  postgresql90-server @9.0.5_0 (active)
  postgresql_select @0.1_0 (active)

I tried importing a SHP file anyway:

> shp2pgsql -c -D -s 4269 -i -I demo.shp | psql -d demo -U postgres

Shapefile type: Arc
Postgis type: MULTILINESTRING[2]
SET
SET
BEGIN
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "nrn_ab_8_0_roadseg_gid_seq" for serial column "nrn_ab_8_0_roadseg.gid"
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "nrn_ab_8_0_roadseg_pkey" for table "nrn_ab_8_0_roadseg"
CREATE TABLE
ERROR:  function addgeometrycolumn(unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, integer) does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT AddGeometryColumn('','nrn_ab_8_0_roadseg','the_geom',...
               ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block

Appears as though Postgis isn't even 'there'.
(Sorry, I'm a MySQL guy. I'm just trying to get started without asking too many dumb questions.)

Best regards,
René Fournier

Re: Getting PostGIS 1.5.3 working with Postgresql90 (Macports)

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
On Oct 7, 2011, at 5:38 PM, René Fournier wrote:

> (Sorry, I'm a MySQL guy. I'm just trying to get started without asking too many dumb questions.)

Frankly, I think you'd be better served by deleting the entirety of the macports stuff and installing postgresql from
sourcethe normal UNIX way: ./configure, make, sudo make install... That's the way I do it, and it works fine on OS X.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

Re: Getting PostGIS 1.5.3 working with Postgresql90 (Macports)

От
René Fournier
Дата:
Well, I would -- and I used to build a lot of stuff from source -- except there are a ton of other packages that Macports makes dead-simple to install.

Plus, I find Macports makes it easy to automate a server build in one script. The problem as I see it isn't Macports but my unfamiliarity with Postgresql.

(Sorry, I'm a MySQL guy. I'm just trying to get started without asking too many dumb questions.)

Frankly, I think you'd be better served by deleting the entirety of the macports stuff and installing postgresql from source the normal UNIX way: ./configure, make, sudo make install... That's the way I do it, and it works fine on OS X.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com
http://www.elevated-dev.com/
(303) 722-0567 voice

Best regards,
René Fournier

Re: Getting PostGIS 1.5.3 working with Postgresql90 (Macports)

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
On Oct 7, 2011, at 7:39 PM, René Fournier wrote:

> Plus, I find Macports makes it easy to automate a server build in one script. The problem as I see it isn't Macports
butmy unfamiliarity with Postgresql.

I think it's both ;-) I tried macports for a couple of things and gave up on it. It works for getting dependencies for
certainthings. Then one day it doesn't work because you're trying a combination that wasn't accounted for, and you now
haveno idea how all those things you previously installed are configured...

But if you can find the pg log, it will usually pretty explicitly tell you why the server is quitting on launch. So you
mightjust need to read those wrapper scripts to see how exactly they invoke postgres.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

Re: Getting PostGIS 1.5.3 working with Postgresql90 (Macports)

От
René Fournier

Plus, I find Macports makes it easy to automate a server build in one script. The problem as I see it isn't Macports but my unfamiliarity with Postgresql.

I think it's both ;-) I tried macports for a couple of things and gave up on it. It works for getting dependencies for certain things. Then one day it doesn't work because you're trying a combination that wasn't accounted for, and you now have no idea how all those things you previously installed are configured…

Sorry, I neglected to say, I have Postgresql running. The problem was the initial means of running it. Unlike the Macports documentation,

sudo /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.postgresql90-server/postgresql90-server.wrapper start

…did the trick. My current problem is figuring out how to get PostGIS integrated/working and/or the template_postgis thing working (since it appears I need that to create spatial databases).

But if you can find the pg log, it will usually pretty explicitly tell you why the server is quitting on launch. So you might just need to read those wrapper scripts to see how exactly they invoke postgres.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com
http://www.elevated-dev.com/
(303) 722-0567 voice

Best regards,
René Fournier

Re: Getting PostGIS 1.5.3 working with Postgresql90 (Macports)

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
[...]

template_postgis is just the "empty" database template PostGIS creates when it is first installed and configured. It's just like template1, but has the PostGIS support functions and schema already installed. It should be created as part of the regular install and configuration process for PostGIS, AFAIK.

I don't use PostGIS or MacOS, so I can't help much with that side...

--
Craig Ringer