Обсуждение: Why PGSQL has no developments in the .NET area?

Why PGSQL has no developments in the .NET area?

От
Rohit Coder
Дата:
PgSQL has just one old NPGSQL driver for .NET, which is itself sluggish. The ODBC driver works better as compared to NPGSQL, but I suspect the ODBC driver is not the right choice for ORM framework of .NET.

I want to know whether there is any efficient .NET provider and is PGSQL compatible with the .NET entity framework.

Regards,
Rohit.

Re: Why PGSQL has no developments in the .NET area?

От
Rob Sargent
Дата:
Rohit Coder wrote:
> PgSQL has just one old NPGSQL driver for .NET, which is itself
> sluggish. The ODBC driver works better as compared to NPGSQL, but I
> suspect the ODBC driver is not the right choice for ORM framework of .NET.
>
> I want to know whether there is any efficient .NET provider and is
> PGSQL compatible with the .NET entity framework.
>
> Regards,
> Rohit.
Won't bite on the "why" of it all, but is this
<http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgresql/> what you're after?

Re: Why PGSQL has no developments in the .NET area?

От
Andy Colson
Дата:
On 10/01/2011 10:32 PM, Rohit Coder wrote:
> PgSQL has just one old NPGSQL driver for .NET, which is itself sluggish. The ODBC driver works better as compared to
NPGSQL,but I suspect the ODBC driver is not the right choice for ORM framework of .NET.

> I want to know whether there is any efficient .NET provider and is PGSQL compatible with the .NET entity framework.
>
> Regards,
> Rohit.

why: probably because no .net user has stepped up and written one.  Not enough interest maybe?

But really, why would you need to?  I assume .net is not so crippled that it can't link to a .dll, correct?  Why not
justuse the native libpq.dll?  The interface is well documented and simple to use.  And you wont get any faster.

-Andy

Re: Why PGSQL has no developments in the .NET area?

От
Mike Christensen
Дата:
>> PgSQL has just one old NPGSQL driver for .NET, which is itself sluggish.
>> The ODBC driver works better as compared to NPGSQL, but I suspect the ODBC
>> driver is not the right choice for ORM framework of .NET.
>>
>> I want to know whether there is any efficient .NET provider and is PGSQL
>> compatible with the .NET entity framework.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rohit.
>
> Won't bite on the "why" of it all, but is this
> <http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgresql/> what you're after?

We use the DevArt drivers (their Oracle drivers anyway) at work and
they're pretty good.  They have solid tech support (helpful and quick
to respond) and they seem to write quality stuff.  I'd assume their PG
drivers are just as good.  However, this stuff isn't cheap.  You pay
per dev license and it's like a few hundred bucks per dev.

I use Npgsql for my own website (www.kitchenpc.com) and I've had zero
problems with these drivers.  They're 100% managed code, and they seem
to be quick even though I haven't done any in-depth speed comparisons.

Re: Why PGSQL has no developments in the .NET area?

От
"Francisco Figueiredo Jr."
Дата:
Hi!

What usage case of Npgsql are you having performance issues?

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 00:32, Rohit Coder
<passionate_programmer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> PgSQL has just one old NPGSQL driver for .NET, which is itself sluggish. The
> ODBC driver works better as compared to NPGSQL, but I suspect the ODBC
> driver is not the right choice for ORM framework of .NET.
>
> I want to know whether there is any efficient .NET provider and is PGSQL
> compatible with the .NET entity framework.
>
> Regards,
> Rohit.

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Npgsql Lead Developer
http://www.npgsql.org
http://gplus.to/franciscojunior
http://fxjr.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/franciscojunior

Re: Why PGSQL has no developments in the .NET area?

От
Dusan Misic

I do not understand what you mean by the term sluggish?

Every .NET driver has some overhead when you first load it, and then it is being cached into memory.

I have used Npgsql and it worked great for me.

If you are not satisfied with Npgsql, try Devarts connector.