Обсуждение: Wal archiving and streaming replication

Wal archiving and streaming replication

От
alexondi
Дата:
Hi!
Do I need setup wal archiving (archiving_mode = on) setup when I  use
streaming replication?

Re: Wal archiving and streaming replication

От
Ray Stell
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 02:01:10AM -0700, alexondi wrote:
> Hi!
> Do I need setup wal archiving (archiving_mode = on) setup when I  use
> streaming replication?

yes
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/high-availability.html

Re: Wal archiving and streaming replication

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:14:15 am Ray Stell wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 02:01:10AM -0700, alexondi wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Do I need setup wal archiving (archiving_mode = on) setup when I  use
> > streaming replication?
>
> yes
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/high-availability.html

Actually no. Streaming will work without archiving. For a quick introduction
see:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Binary_Replication_Tutorial#5_Minutes_to_Simple_Replication
--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Wal archiving and streaming replication

От
Ray Stell
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 06:23:58AM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:14:15 am Ray Stell wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 02:01:10AM -0700, alexondi wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > > Do I need setup wal archiving (archiving_mode = on) setup when I  use
> > > streaming replication?
> >
> > yes
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/high-availability.html
>
> Actually no. Streaming will work without archiving. For a quick introduction
> see:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Binary_Replication_Tutorial#5_Minutes_to_Simple_Replication

right, you don't need to.  I find it to be a best practice, which is different.

Re: Wal archiving and streaming replication

От
Raghavendra
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Ray Stell <stellr@cns.vt.edu> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 06:23:58AM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:14:15 am Ray Stell wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 02:01:10AM -0700, alexondi wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > > Do I need setup wal archiving (archiving_mode = on) setup when I  use
> > > streaming replication?
> >
> > yes
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/high-availability.html
>
> Actually no. Streaming will work without archiving. For a quick introduction
> see:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Binary_Replication_Tutorial#5_Minutes_to_Simple_Replication

right, you don't need to.  I find it to be a best practice, which is different.

Question:

Is it a best practice to keep cluster in Archive_mode = on and setup streaming replication or just leave archive_mode=off?

---
Regards,
Raghavendra
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Re: Wal archiving and streaming replication

От
Ray Stell
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 08:30:55PM +0530, Raghavendra wrote:

> Is it a best practice to keep cluster in Archive_mode = on and setup
> streaming replication or just leave archive_mode=off?

Depends.  The reason for creating WAL is in case they are needed for recovery.
In the event that the stby host goes down, if bringing it back into service
exceeds wal_keep_segments on the primary then you would need to rebuild
the standby.  This is a local decision and should be made based on business
rules.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Ray Stell <stellr@cns.vt.edu> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 08:30:55PM +0530, Raghavendra wrote:

> Is it a best practice to keep cluster in Archive_mode = on and setup
> streaming replication or just leave archive_mode=off?

Depends.  The reason for creating WAL is in case they are needed for recovery.
In the event that the stby host goes down, if bringing it back into service
exceeds wal_keep_segments on the primary then you would need to rebuild
the standby.  This is a local decision and should be made based on business
rules.

Thanks Ray.

--Raghav