Обсуждение: Two indexes on same column

Two indexes on same column

От
Vlastimil Krejcir
Дата:
   Hi,

   what index is used (and according to what rules) when there are two (or
more) different indexes defined on one column? Assume:

CREATE TABLE example (
id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
...);
CREATE INDEX example_id_idx ON example USING hash (id);

By default there are btree index created and the hash index is then
created. So there are two indexes on column "id". Are there described
somewhere what index is used and when? Does it depend on query analyzer
and planner?

Thanks

Vlastik

Re: Two indexes on same column

От
Raghavendra

 what index is used (and according to what rules) when there are two (or more) different indexes defined on one column? Assume:

CREATE TABLE example (
id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
...);
CREATE INDEX example_id_idx ON example USING hash (id);

By default there are btree index created and the hash index is then created. So there are two indexes on column "id". Are there described somewhere what index is used and when? Does it depend on query analyzer and planner?

Thanks

You are right, depends on the optimizer and query to which index to choose. EXPLAIN command on the query will give you the optimizer path.

---
Regards,
Raghavendra
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Re: Two indexes on same column

От
Ernesto Quiñones
Дата:
Hi, I was reading about indexes and I have a question:

is possible to use "hash" like index method in primary key constraints??

thanks

Visita : http://www.eqsoft.net
Sigueme en Twitter : http://www.twitter.com/ernestoq