Обсуждение: Identify release contents

Identify release contents

От
"Abraham, Danny"

We are on 8.3.7 and interested on upgrading to the 9.0.4.

How can I verify that the bug below is fixed for 9.0.4?

( Fix Windows shared-memory allocation code (Tsutomu Yamada, Magnus) This bug led to the often-reported "could not reattach to shared memory" error message.)

I can tell for sure, reading the release notes that it is fixed for 8.2.18, 8.3.8 and 8.4.1.

What about the 9.X ?

Thanks a lot

Danny

Re: Identify release contents

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 19/07/2011 6:48 PM, Abraham, Danny wrote:

> I can tell for sure, reading the release notes that it is fixed for
> 8.2.18, 8.3.8 and 8.4.1.

The fix should be in 9.0 too. It might not appear in the 9.0 release
notes explicitly if 9.0 was branched off after the 8.4.1 release,
because then 9.0 would inherit all changes from 8.4.1.

I haven't verified if that's the case, but I haven't seen any "cannot
reattach to shared memory" errors reported here for some time, nor have
I had any on 9.0 during any of my Windows-based testing.

If you want to be totally 100% certain you can trace the fix to exactly
where it was applied in 9.0, check the revision history in git. See
http://git.postgresql.org/ .

--
Craig Ringer

POST Newspapers
276 Onslow Rd, Shenton Park
Ph: 08 9381 3088     Fax: 08 9388 2258
ABN: 50 008 917 717
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/

Re: Identify release contents

От
"Abraham, Danny"

Thanks Craig

Yes, I am trying to get to a full confidence level.

How can I tell which version was 9.0 branched off?

Any git 101 document?

We are on 8.3.7 and interested on upgrading to the 9.0.4.

How can I verify that the bug below is fixed for 9.0.4?

( Fix Windows shared-memory allocation code (Tsutomu Yamada, Magnus) This bug led to the often-reported "could not reattach to shared memory" error message.)

I can tell for sure, reading the release notes that it is fixed for 8.2.18, 8.3.8 and 8.4.1.

What about the 9.X ?

Thanks a lot

Danny

Re: Identify release contents

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:36:02 am Abraham, Danny wrote:
> Thanks Craig
>
> Yes, I am trying to get to a full confidence level.
>
> How can I tell which version was 9.0 branched off?
>
> Any git 101 document?

There is a browse-able Web site for the Postgres Git repository:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=summary

To make things easier the commit you are looking for is:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=a7e587863cab80b8896593f20b41e53d65155932

If you browse through the branch tagged 9.04(click on the tag name and then
tree) to the files mentioned in the above commit you will see it is present in
9.04.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Identify release contents

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Дата:
Abraham, Danny wrote:
> How can I verify that the bug below is fixed for 9.0.4?
>
> ( Fix Windows shared-memory allocation code (Tsutomu Yamada, Magnus)
This bug led to the often-
> reported "could not reattach to shared memory" error message.)
>
> I can tell for sure, reading the release notes that it is fixed for
8.2.18, 8.3.8 and 8.4.1.

> What about the 9.X ?

It is fixed in every release from 8.3 on.

You can tell by looking for a message like the following in
the archives of the pgsql-committers mailing list:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2009-07/msg00220.php

Yours,
Laurenz Albe