Обсуждение: Need help writing exclusion constraint

Need help writing exclusion constraint

От
Matthew Wilson
Дата:
I have a table like this:

create table event(

    destination_id integer not null references destination
    (destination_id),

    starts timestamp,
    ends timestamp
);

I want to make sure that no two rows **with the same destination_id**
overlap in time.

I'm not sure how to write this exclusion constraint.  I know how to make
the constraint to prevent any two rows from overlapping, but I want to
allow rows to overlap as long as they don't have the same
destination_id.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Re: Need help writing exclusion constraint

От
Daniel Popowich
Дата:
Matthew Wilson writes:
> I have a table like this:
>
> create table event(
>
>     destination_id integer not null references destination
>     (destination_id),
>
>     starts timestamp,
>     ends timestamp
> );
>
> I want to make sure that no two rows **with the same destination_id**
> overlap in time.
>
> I'm not sure how to write this exclusion constraint.  I know how to make
> the constraint to prevent any two rows from overlapping, but I want to
> allow rows to overlap as long as they don't have the same
> destination_id.

Constraint expressions can only be simple boolean expressions, so can
refer only to the column(s) of the current row you're
inserting/updating, so to refer to other records (which you'll need to
do to compare destination_ids) you need to create a
function...something along the lines of this:

  CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION overlap_at_dest(dest integer,
                                             s timestamp,
                                             e timestamp)
                                             returns boolean as $_$

  DECLARE
    c bigint;
  BEGIN
    select count(*) into c from event
                           where (destination_id = dest)
                                 and ((starts, ends) overlaps (s,e));
    return c = 0;
  END;

  $_$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Then alter your table:

    ALTER TABLE event ADD CONSTRAINT event_overlap
             CHECK(overlap_at_dest(destination_id, starts, ends));

Cheers,

Dan Popowich

Re: Need help writing exclusion constraint

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
Dne 15.1.2011 21:07, Daniel Popowich napsal(a):
>   CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION overlap_at_dest(dest integer,
>                                              s timestamp,
>                                              e timestamp)
>                                              returns boolean as $_$
>
>   DECLARE
>     c bigint;
>   BEGIN
>     select count(*) into c from event
>                            where (destination_id = dest)
>                                  and ((starts, ends) overlaps (s,e));
>     return c = 0;
>   END;
>
>   $_$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>

> Then alter your table:
>
>     ALTER TABLE event ADD CONSTRAINT event_overlap
>              CHECK(overlap_at_dest(destination_id, starts, ends));

There's a race condition - if there are two concurrent sessions, both
inserting rows for the same destination_id, this trigger won't work I
guess as the session does not see the rows inserted by the other one
(this is due to the READ COMMITED isolation level).

One way to fix this is locking - in this case you have to make sure that
two sessions modifying the same destination_id will synchronize
properly. The easiest way to od that is to lock the same row in some
table - e.g. if you have a "destinations" table lock the row with the
same destination_id. So the function should look something like this

  CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION overlap_at_dest(dest integer,
                                             s timestamp,
                                             e timestamp)
                                             returns boolean as $_$
  DECLARE
    c bigint;
  BEGIN

    PERFORM * FROM destinations WHERE destination_id = dest FOR UPDATE;

    select count(*) into c from event
                           where (destination_id = dest)
                                 and ((starts, ends) overlaps (s,e));
    return c = 0;
  END;

  $_$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Or something like that. If there's no suitable table, you can use
advisory locks - just replace the PERFORM with

   pg_advisory_lock(dest);

regards
Tomas

Re: Need help writing exclusion constraint

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
Matthew Wilson <matt@tplus1.com> wrote:

> I have a table like this:
>
> create table event(
>
>     destination_id integer not null references destination
>     (destination_id),
>
>     starts timestamp,
>     ends timestamp
> );
>
> I want to make sure that no two rows **with the same destination_id**
> overlap in time.
>
> I'm not sure how to write this exclusion constraint.  I know how to make
> the constraint to prevent any two rows from overlapping, but I want to
> allow rows to overlap as long as they don't have the same
> destination_id.

If I where you, i would use the temporal data typ ;-)

It's a new extension for PostgreSQL, see here:
http://temporal.projects.postgresql.org/reference.html,
http://thoughts.j-davis.com/2010/09/25/exclusion-constraints-are-generalized-sql-unique/
http://www.slideshare.net/pgconf/not-just-unique-exclusion-constraints

Regards, Andreas

Re: Need help writing exclusion constraint

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 19:17 +0000, Matthew Wilson wrote:
> create table event(
>
>     destination_id integer not null references destination
>     (destination_id),
>
>     starts timestamp,
>     ends timestamp
> );
>
> I want to make sure that no two rows **with the same destination_id**
> overlap in time.

First, you need to have some notion of "overlaps", so you need to
combine the "starts" and "ends" into a single value. I recommend trying
the PERIOD datatype (as Andreas suggests). They don't have to be in the
same column necessarily (you could use a functional index that combines
the values), but typically it would be helpful anyway.

If you use the PERIOD datatype, the "overlaps" operator is "&&". So,
assuming that the combined start/end is called "during", the exclusion
constraint might look something like:

   EXCLUDE USING gist (destination_id WITH =, during WITH &&)

You'll need to install the contrib module "btree_gist" first, so that
"=" is indexable over integers using GiST.

What's the above constraint says is: "rows R1 and R2 conflict if
R1.destination_id = R2.destination_id AND R1.during && R2.during", and
it will prevent R1 and R2 from both existing at the same time in your
table.

This method will be safe from race conditions.

Hope this helps. Also, for more detailed examples that happen to be very
similar to your problem, see:

http://thoughts.j-davis.com/2009/11/08/temporal-keys-part-2/
http://thoughts.j-davis.com/2010/09/25/exclusion-constraints-are-generalized-sql-unique/

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: Need help writing exclusion constraint

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 15:07 -0500, Daniel Popowich wrote:
> Constraint expressions can only be simple boolean expressions, so can
> refer only to the column(s) of the current row you're
> inserting/updating,

Exclusion Constraints are a new feature in 9.0:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/ddl-constraints.html#DDL-CONSTRAINTS-EXCLUSION
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-EXCLUDE

They allow you to constrain across rows, much like UNIQUE (in fact, the
constraints that can be expressed by an exclusion constraint are a
superset of the constraints that can be expressed by UNIQUE).

> so to refer to other records (which you'll need to
> do to compare destination_ids) you need to create a
> function...something along the lines of this:

>     ALTER TABLE event ADD CONSTRAINT event_overlap
>              CHECK(overlap_at_dest(destination_id, starts, ends));

As Tomas said, that's an unsafe thing to do. I do not recommend using a
table-reading function in a check constraint.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: Need help writing exclusion constraint

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 21:32 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> >     ALTER TABLE event ADD CONSTRAINT event_overlap
> >              CHECK(overlap_at_dest(destination_id, starts, ends));
>
> There's a race condition

> One way to fix this is locking

I do not recommend locking. In fact, the primary reason that exclusion
constraints exist is to prevent unnecessary locking for problems exactly
like this.

I included some links in my other reply that demonstrate how to avoid
that excessive locking while still being safe from race conditions.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: Need help writing exclusion constraint

От
Daniel Popowich
Дата:
Jeff Davis writes:
> On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 21:32 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> > >     ALTER TABLE event ADD CONSTRAINT event_overlap
> > >              CHECK(overlap_at_dest(destination_id, starts, ends));
> >
> > There's a race condition

> > One way to fix this is locking
>
> I do not recommend locking. In fact, the primary reason that exclusion
> constraints exist is to prevent unnecessary locking for problems exactly
> like this.
>
> I included some links in my other reply that demonstrate how to avoid
> that excessive locking while still being safe from race conditions.

I totally understand the issues of race conditions.  My original reply
didn't address the issue...should have.  Of course race conditions are
only an issue for concurrent sessions...that depends on the total
application architecture.

Anyway...Jeff, all your answers depend on using new features in 9.0.
What would you recommend for folk still using 8.4?  Without 9.0
exclusion constraints, what else can you do besides using functions in
check constraints (or triggers) with appropriate locking (at some
level of the overall application architecture).

Dan

Re: Need help writing exclusion constraint

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 10:15 -0500, Daniel Popowich wrote:
> Anyway...Jeff, all your answers depend on using new features in 9.0.
> What would you recommend for folk still using 8.4?  Without 9.0
> exclusion constraints, what else can you do besides using functions in
> check constraints (or triggers) with appropriate locking (at some
> level of the overall application architecture).

There are several approaches, but all of them leave something to be
desired, of course.

I break the alternative solutions into 4 categories:

1. Full table lock -- instead of using a CHECK constraint, use a trigger
and acquire a full table lock. The obvious problem here is the
contention over that lock, so transactions will need to be kept short.
Performance with this approach will not be very good, but perhaps that's
OK in some situations.

2. What I call "quantization". That is, choose a size, say one hour, and
assume that "1:00" really means "1:00 - 2:00". Then you can use a UNIQUE
index. You have to align everything on the hour exactly (you can't do
1:30-2:30, for instance), and longer reservations require multiple
entries. Choosing an appropriate chunk size is difficult, because if
it's too big then it makes the application overly strict (and imposes
inconveniences on your organization); but if you choose a size that is
too small, it requires many entries for a single reservation (if you
choose one minute, then a one-hour reservation requires 60 rows). These
drawbacks are acceptable for some organizations, but not all.

3. Complex procedural code can be used. For instance, you might have a
separate table (call it "my_locks") of rows that exist just for
row-level locks. One row would represent 1:00 - 2:00, another 2:00 -
3:00, etc. And when you go to insert into the main table (call it
"reservations"), you take a row-level lock on every row in my_locks that
overlaps with the time you are inserting. So, if you are inserting 10:30
- 11:30 into the reservations table, you would take a lock on the rows
10:00 - 11:00 and 11:00 - 12:00 in your my_locks table. This effectively
partitions your lock space, so that a reservation for 1:30 - 2:30 won't
have to wait for a reservation between 10:30 and 11:30. There are other
ideas along these lines as well, this is just an example of how adding
complexity can help. Be careful though, the complexity explodes pretty
quickly, and there are a lot of hidden performance traps.

4. You can work outside of the transactional system. Record both
reservations, and check later for conflicts. The problem here is what to
do when you find one. If you want to undo one reservation, and it was
part of a larger transaction, you have to figure out how to undo the
whole transaction. And you need to keep a log of which transactions need
to be checked, so that if there is a crash you don't lose track and
leave the conflicting reservations in there.

As you can see, none of these are ideal. But, if you run into a specific
problem, you can usually pick one of these approaches and make it work
with careful determination. Exclusion constraints are much easier,
however ;)

Regards,
    Jeff Davis