Обсуждение: server gets slow at certain time

server gets slow at certain time

От
AI Rumman
Дата:
I am using Postgresql 8.1 in 8-cpu cores with 32 gb ram with CestOS 5.
I have different DBs in the system and the large one is 12 GB and it is a CRM DB and heavily used.
Every day after 1 pm the system gets slow and after analyzing the nmon spreadsheet, I found that IO spike at that period.
Users write data much at that period of time.
DB parameters are as follows:
max_connections= 500
shared_buffers=122144
effective_cache_size = 1835010
work_mem = 8192
max_fsm_pages= 356656
fsync=on
commit_delay=0
commit_siblings= 5
random_page_cost = 0.01
default_statistics_target=100
wah_buffers = 500

Any idea please how to find the bottleneck and improve performance.
Let me know if any more information is needed.

Re: server gets slow at certain time

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
[...]

What's your checkpoint_segments setting?  You may wish to up it if you're getting many inserts/updates.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Re: server gets slow at certain time

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 18:24 +0600, AI Rumman wrote:
> I am using Postgresql 8.1 in 8-cpu cores with 32 gb ram with CestOS 5.

<snip>

In addition to what Thom wrote, please note that checkpoints in pre-8.3
negative effect on disk I/O -- you may see spikes during checkpoints.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: server gets slow at certain time

От
AI Rumman
Дата:
At present,
checkpoint_segment=3
checkpoint_timeout=300

On 10/29/10, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 29 October 2010 13:24, AI Rumman <rummandba@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am using Postgresql 8.1 in 8-cpu cores with 32 gb ram with CestOS 5.
>> I have different DBs in the system and the large one is 12 GB and it is a
>> CRM DB and heavily used.
>> Every day after 1 pm the system gets slow and after analyzing the nmon
>> spreadsheet, I found that IO spike at that period.
>> Users write data much at that period of time.
>> DB parameters are as follows:
>> max_connections= 500
>> shared_buffers=122144
>> effective_cache_size = 1835010
>> work_mem = 8192
>> max_fsm_pages= 356656
>> fsync=on
>> commit_delay=0
>> commit_siblings= 5
>> random_page_cost = 0.01
>> default_statistics_target=100
>> wah_buffers = 500
>>
>> Any idea please how to find the bottleneck and improve performance.
>> Let me know if any more information is needed.
>>

> What's your checkpoint_segments setting?  You may wish to up it if you're
> getting many inserts/updates.
>
> --
> Thom Brown
> Twitter: @darkixion