Обсуждение: psql \q hang

psql \q hang

От
Jeff Ross
Дата:
Hi all,

This is more of an odd anoyance than anything, but for the past month or
so when I \q out of psql I have to wait 20-25 seconds for the return to
the shell prompt.  This is the only copy of psql running and it doesn't
matter what database I'm connected to.  I'm running 8.4.4 on OpenBSD and
primarily PostgreSQL is powering Drupal.

Searching Google turned up nothing.  I can live with it but I'd be more
interested in fixing it.

Thanks!

Jeff Ross

Re: psql \q hang

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: psql \q hang

От
Jeff Ross
Дата:
On 10/04/10 15:55, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> This is more of an odd anoyance than anything, but for the past month or
>> so when I \q out of psql I have to wait 20-25 seconds for the return to
>> the shell prompt.  This is the only copy of psql running and it doesn't
>
> Perhaps there is an issue writing to the ~/.psql_history file? Try running
> with --no-readline and see if it still happens. Otherwise, consider
> using strace or lsof to see what it is doing during those 20 seconds.
>
> - --
> Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
> End Point Corporation http://www.endpoint.com/
> PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 201010041754
> http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

Thanks for the hint, Greg!  It was indeed the .psql_history file.
Although I'm using the default history size, the file was over 5MB in
size and full of a table dump.  I truncated the file and no more delay
quitting psql.

Jeff

Re: psql \q hang

Дата:
Jeff Ross <jross@wykids.org> writes:
> Thanks for the hint, Greg!  It was indeed the .psql_history file.
> Although I'm using the default history size, the file was over 5MB in
> size and full of a table dump.  I truncated the file and no more delay
> quitting psql.

Huh ... what version of libreadline (or libedit) are you using exactly?
How did the large dump get in there?

            regards, tom lane

Re: psql \q hang

От
Jeff Ross
Дата:
On 10/05/10 10:35, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jeff Ross<jross@wykids.org>  writes:
>> Thanks for the hint, Greg!  It was indeed the .psql_history file.
>> Although I'm using the default history size, the file was over 5MB in
>> size and full of a table dump.  I truncated the file and no more delay
>> quitting psql.
>
> Huh ... what version of libreadline (or libedit) are you using exactly?
> How did the large dump get in there?
>
>             regards, tom lane

According to the README in the source, this is "Gnu Readline library,
version 4.3.".

I'm not sure how the dump got in there.  I have a table of US Cities,
Zip Codes and lat/long data in one of the databases and the contents of
that table were in the history file twice.

Jeff

Re: psql \q hang

Дата:
Jeff Ross <jross@wykids.org> writes:
> On 10/05/10 10:35, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Huh ... what version of libreadline (or libedit) are you using exactly?
>> How did the large dump get in there?

> According to the README in the source, this is "Gnu Readline library,
> version 4.3.".

Well, that's not terribly new, but still ...

> I'm not sure how the dump got in there.  I have a table of US Cities,
> Zip Codes and lat/long data in one of the databases and the contents of
> that table were in the history file twice.

When you say "contents of the table", what do you mean exactly?  Did it
look like COPY data, psql SELECT output, or what?  I'm still quite
confused about how data that you didn't type got into the history.

If you still have the file on backup media, it might be useful to look
at the last few history lines before each instance of the table
contents.

            regards, tom lane