Обсуждение: Frustration with \copy

Frustration with \copy

От
Ralph Smith
Дата:
As someone famous once said:
	The documentation I've found on \copy says to see the docs on copy ;)
It's *supposed* to match the backend syntax, but seems a few bricks shy of a load at the moment.  Anyone feel like fixing it?  Seeparse_slash_copy() in src/bin/psql/copy.c.

That was a while ago, but it seems to still hold true.
I'm assuming it HAD to work (ca v7.4), if one just had the syntax laid out right.

I have a one column .txt file on Ubuntu that I'm trying to upload, and ....\copy new_coupons '/home/rsmith/testfile.txt' \copy: parse error at "'/home/rsmith/testfile"

I've looked for caveats (that I didn't expect to find) WRT the EOL delimiter.
I also apostrophed the text when it didn't need it.

In my very recent unemployed state I boned-up-on and did a little consulting on
Oracle and MySQL, and the others did work.
Now I remember why I had dark clouds associated with this command.

If I have to I can build a series of INSERT statements.

Yes, we are planning to upgrade to 8.3, but now I'm stuck w/ 7.4.
Should I just INSERT?

Thanks!
Ralph

Re: Frustration with \copy

Дата:
Ralph Smith <rsmith@10kinfo.com> writes:
> I have a one column .txt file on Ubuntu that I'm trying to upload, and ....
>     \copy new_coupons '/home/rsmith/testfile.txt'

I think you need
    \copy new_coupons from '...'

Like it says, it's supposed to match the backend syntax, modulo needing
a starting backslash and no ending semicolon.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Frustration with \copy

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:25:52AM -0700, Ralph Smith wrote:
> Yes, we are planning to upgrade to 8.3, but now I'm stuck w/ 7.4.

Don't stay stuck there too long.  It's about to end its life, as are
8.0 and 8.1, later this year.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy

> Should I just INSERT?

Nope.