Обсуждение: regexp on null

regexp on null

От
"Gauthier, Dave"

8.3.4 on Linux

Is there a way to regexp match on a null value?  Or is it necessary to OR in a .... "or x is null"?

Thanks in Advance !

Re: regexp on null

От
Dmitriy Igrishin
Дата:
Hey Dave,

Did you consider to use coalesce() ?

Regards,
Dmitriy

2010/9/10 Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com>

8.3.4 on Linux

Is there a way to regexp match on a null value?  Or is it necessary to OR in a .... "or x is null"?

Thanks in Advance !

Re: regexp on null

От
Richard Broersma
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to regexp match on a null value?

I would say no.

>  Or is it necessary to OR in a .... "or x is null"?

you could use a

COALESCE( text_column, '') ~ E'MyRegEx';

Or perhaps:
 ( text_column ~ E'MyRegEx' ) IS UNKNOWN
 might work.

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: regexp on null

От
"Gauthier, Dave"
Дата:
Ya, I kinda knew about these approaches.  The problem ahs to do with novice users who don't know about coalesce or
or;inga check ofr nulls.  I was hoping there was some special regexp expression that would match to a null.

Thanks for the quick response, and have a great weekend !

> Is there a way to regexp match on a null value?

I would say no.

>  Or is it necessary to OR in a .... "or x is null"?

you could use a

COALESCE( text_column, '') ~ E'MyRegEx';

Or perhaps:
 ( text_column ~ E'MyRegEx' ) IS UNKNOWN
 might work.

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: regexp on null

От
Richard Broersma
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:
> Ya, I kinda knew about these approaches.  The problem ahs to do with novice users who don't know about coalesce or
or;inga check ofr nulls.  I was hoping there was some special regexp expression that would match to a null.

Perhaps the easiest was to help such users is to make the column(s) in
question NOT NULL DEFAULT ''.

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: regexp on null

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:25:55AM -0700, Richard Broersma wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:
> > Ya, I kinda knew about these approaches.  The problem ahs to do
> > with novice users who don't know about coalesce or or;ing a check
> > ofr nulls.  I was hoping there was some special regexp expression
> > that would match to a null.
>
> Perhaps the easiest was to help such users is to make the column(s)
> in question NOT NULL DEFAULT ''.

I think it's a very, very bad idea to make a default like that.  I'm
aware that it's common in one of those Oracle properties, but it needs
to stay confined there.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: regexp on null

От
Dmitriy Igrishin
Дата:
Agree with David.

Regards,
Dmitriy

2010/9/10 David Fetter <david@fetter.org>
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:25:55AM -0700, Richard Broersma wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:
> > Ya, I kinda knew about these approaches.  The problem ahs to do
> > with novice users who don't know about coalesce or or;ing a check
> > ofr nulls.  I was hoping there was some special regexp expression
> > that would match to a null.
>
> Perhaps the easiest was to help such users is to make the column(s)
> in question NOT NULL DEFAULT ''.

I think it's a very, very bad idea to make a default like that.  I'm
aware that it's common in one of those Oracle properties, but it needs
to stay confined there.

Cheers,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778  AIM: dfetter666  Yahoo!: dfetter
Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: david.fetter@gmail.com

Remember to vote!