Обсуждение: postgreSQL problem

postgreSQL problem

От
Luka Novak
Дата:
hello!

I just recently installed PostgreSQL for my HoldemManager application, and after a restart, there was actually a new windows user account named postgre on the startup along with my admin account for windows (if i didnt make it clear -- the account to log in to windows, before windows start). So is that a normal thing or not, because i know i didnt do anything wrong with installation or the setup.

Thanks in advance for answers,

Luka

Re: postgreSQL problem

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Luka Novak's message of mié sep 01 06:35:13 -0400 2010:
> hello!
>

> I just recently installed PostgreSQL for my HoldemManager application, and
> after a restart, there was actually a new windows user account named postgre
> on the startup along with my admin account for windows (if i didnt make it
> clear -- the account to log in to windows, before windows start). So is that
> a normal thing or not, because i know i didnt do anything wrong with
> installation or the setup.

Yes, the PostgreSQL installation creates a "postgres" Windows user
account.  This is normal and expected.

Re: postgreSQL problem

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
  On 09/01/10 2:01 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Luka Novak's message of mié sep 01 06:35:13 -0400 2010:
>> hello!
>>

>> I just recently installed PostgreSQL for my HoldemManager application, and
>> after a restart, there was actually a new windows user account named postgre
>> on the startup along with my admin account for windows (if i didnt make it
>> clear -- the account to log in to windows, before windows start). So is that
>> a normal thing or not, because i know i didnt do anything wrong with
>> installation or the setup.
> Yes, the PostgreSQL installation creates a "postgres" Windows user
> account.  This is normal and expected.

however, that user shouldn't show up on the "Welcome" friendly style
login screen.    OTOH, I'm not sure what mechanism is used to prevent this.

ah, a little googling... on 32bit windows.. registry entry

NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

has a value with the username and a DWORD of 0x00000000 to block the
user from being displayed.  on 64bit Win7 at least, this is in

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

instead.

Re: postgreSQL problem

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 3:52 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> however, that user shouldn't show up on the "Welcome" friendly style login
> screen.    OTOH, I'm not sure what mechanism is used to prevent this.
>
> ah, a little googling... on 32bit windows.. registry entry
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
>
> has a value with the username and a DWORD of 0x00000000 to block the user
> from being displayed.  on 64bit Win7 at least, this is in
>
> HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Is there a more universal, trans-windows platform api for a call to
make such a change?  Especially a switch at account creation time.

Re: postgreSQL problem

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
  On 09/01/10 7:40 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 3:52 PM, John R Pierce<pierce@hogranch.com>  wrote:
>> however, that user shouldn't show up on the "Welcome" friendly style login
>> screen.    OTOH, I'm not sure what mechanism is used to prevent this.
>>
>> ah, a little googling... on 32bit windows.. registry entry
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
>> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
>>
>> has a value with the username and a DWORD of 0x00000000 to block the user
>> from being displayed.  on 64bit Win7 at least, this is in
>>
>> HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows
>> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
> Is there a more universal, trans-windows platform api for a call to
> make such a change?  Especially a switch at account creation time.

it appears to sort of be an afterthought.... I don't think there's any
API or whatever.    If I'd been designing it, I likely would have done
it with group membership...  like anyone who was a member of 'Login
Users' or something.   but hindsight is always 20-20.