Обсуждение: Jira and PostgreSQL

Jira and PostgreSQL

От
Jayadevan M
Дата:
Hello all,
Has any one worked with Jira on PostgreSQL?
We are considering Jira implementation for our organization (about 1500
users).
The question is - "Jira on MySQL or Jira on PostgreSQL?" Any
tips/suggestions are welcome. We do not have much expertise in either of
these databases.
Oracle, the database we have expertise in, cannot be considered because of
the license costs :)

Regards,
Jayadevan

DISCLAIMER:

"The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication.
IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy,
adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any
attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses
or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."

Re: Jira and PostgreSQL

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 30/08/10 17:26, Jayadevan M wrote:
> Hello all,
> Has any one worked with Jira on PostgreSQL?
> We are considering Jira implementation for our organization (about 1500
> users).
> The question is - "Jira on MySQL or Jira on PostgreSQL?" Any
> tips/suggestions are welcome. We do not have much expertise in either of
> these databases.

I'm about to go down the same path, so I'd be interested in your
experiences.

Personally I'm still unsure JIRA is really the direction I want to go in
- but with alternatives like Bugzilla and Mantis, it's not unappealing.

--
Craig Ringer

Tech-related writing: http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/

Re: Jira and PostgreSQL

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Jayadevan M, 30.08.2010 11:26:
> Hello all,
> Has any one worked with Jira on PostgreSQL?
> We are considering Jira implementation for our organization (about 1500
> users).
> The question is - "Jira on MySQL or Jira on PostgreSQL?" Any
> tips/suggestions are welcome. We do not have much expertise in either of
> these databases.
> Oracle, the database we have expertise in, cannot be considered because of
> the license costs :)

Our admin team just moved our Jira from MySQL to PostgreSQL, but I can't recall the exact reasons anymore. So far we do
nothave any problems (from an end-user perspective that is)

Regards
Thomas

Re: Jira and PostgreSQL

От
Jayadevan M
Дата:
> Our admin team just moved our Jira from MySQL to PostgreSQL, but I
> can't recall the exact reasons anymore. So far we do not have any
> problems (from an end-user perspective that is)

Thanks for the reply.   We plan to use it for our helpdesk, expecting it
to be up and running 24*7 (or as close as possible), may be with db
replication to manage db crashes , paid support from Jira to take care of
issues at the product side and so on. Are you using Jira with PostgreSQL
in an env with similar availability requirements?
Regards,
Jayadevan

DISCLAIMER:

"The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication.
IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy,
adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any
attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses
or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."

Re: Jira and PostgreSQL

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:26 AM, Jayadevan M
<Jayadevan.Maymala@ibsplc.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> Has any one worked with Jira on PostgreSQL?

I did.  The Jira admin edited the jdbc connect string, I created the
user, and the rest was pretty much autopilot.

Re: Jira and PostgreSQL

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 30/08/10 18:13, Jayadevan M wrote:
>> Our admin team just moved our Jira from MySQL to PostgreSQL, but I
>> can't recall the exact reasons anymore. So far we do not have any
>> problems (from an end-user perspective that is)
>>
> Thanks for the reply.   We plan to use it for our helpdesk, expecting it
> to be up and running 24*7 (or as close as possible), may be with db
> replication to manage db crashes , paid support from Jira to take care of
> issues at the product side and so on. Are you using Jira with PostgreSQL
> in an env with similar availability requirements?

Not even close, I'm afraid.

--
Craig Ringer

Tech-related writing: http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/

Re: Jira and PostgreSQL

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Jayadevan M, 30.08.2010 12:13:
>> Our admin team just moved our Jira from MySQL to PostgreSQL, but I
>> can't recall the exact reasons anymore. So far we do not have any
>> problems (from an end-user perspective that is)
>>
> Thanks for the reply.   We plan to use it for our helpdesk, expecting it
> to be up and running 24*7 (or as close as possible), may be with db
> replication to manage db crashes , paid support from Jira to take care of
> issues at the product side and so on. Are you using Jira with PostgreSQL
> in an env with similar availability requirements?

No. We are only doing project tracking with it, so it's definitely not 24*7

We have about 250 users, but of course not all of them are active all the time

Regards
Thomas

Re: Jira and PostgreSQL

От
Whit Armstrong
Дата:
We have Jira + Confluence on postgres.  Small site (25 users).  No issues.

-Whit

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:26 AM, Jayadevan M
<Jayadevan.Maymala@ibsplc.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> Has any one worked with Jira on PostgreSQL?
> We are considering Jira implementation for our organization (about 1500
> users).
> The question is - "Jira on MySQL or Jira on PostgreSQL?" Any
> tips/suggestions are welcome. We do not have much expertise in either of
> these databases.
> Oracle, the database we have expertise in, cannot be considered because of
> the license costs :)
>
> Regards,
> Jayadevan
>

> DISCLAIMER:
>
> "The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for
> the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
> privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
> contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication.
> IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy,
> adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any
> attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses
> or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."

Re: Jira and PostgreSQL

От
Vick Khera
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:26 AM, Jayadevan M
<Jayadevan.Maymala@ibsplc.com> wrote:
> The question is - "Jira on MySQL or Jira on PostgreSQL?" Any

We have Jira on postgres for project development work.  Only about a
dozen users.  Jira uses the DB as basic storage -- there are no
foreign keys, constraints, etc.  Just a few indexes.  Any DB would
work fine, really.  We use Pg because that's what we're used to using.

I don't see why you couldn't use it for 24x7 work -- it *never* goes down.

The only issue is that the official upgrade path for Jira requires
turning off your current instance, copying everything into a dump
file, and re-loading on the new instance of jira.  Even for minor
releases, eg, moving from 4.1.0 to 4.1.1 process is the same as moving
from 4.1 to 5.0.  That is the only downtime it requires, and that's
nothing to do with the DB engine.