Обсуждение: Why create CHECKPOINT_WAIT checkpoint in pg_start_backup not CHECKPOINT_IMMEDIATE?

Why create CHECKPOINT_WAIT checkpoint in pg_start_backup not CHECKPOINT_IMMEDIATE?

От
"Richard"
Дата:
pg_start_backup is rather slow, can I change checkpoint to  CHECKPOINT_IMMEDIATE?

--------------
Richard
2010-08-05

Re: Why create CHECKPOINT_WAIT checkpoint in pg_start_backup not CHECKPOINT_IMMEDIATE?

От
Greg Smith
Richard wrote:
> pg_start_backup is rather slow, can I change checkpoint to  CHECKPOINT_IMMEDIATE?

Starting in PostgreSQL 8.4, pg_start_backup takes an optional second
parameter that asks it to do an immediate checkpoint if you set it
true:  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/functions-admin.html

In 8.3, it can be useful to execute a manual CHECKPOINT just before
running pg_start_backup instead, so that the checkpoint it does will
likely be smaller.