Обсуждение: Migrating from MySQL

Migrating from MySQL

От
RP Khare
Дата:
I want to migrate a production MySQL database to PostgreSQL. Is there any free tool that works effectively?

I downloaded PostgreSQL plus advanced server from EnterpriseDB website. Should I go with the original community PGSQL edition or EnterpriseDB edition?

Regards,
Rohit Prakash

Make the world eco-friendly through MSN Green Drag n' drop

Re: Migrating from MySQL

От
Alex Hunsaker
Дата:
On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 00:22, RP Khare
<passionate_programmer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I want to migrate a production MySQL database to PostgreSQL. Is there any
> free tool that works effectively?

I'd start here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreSQL#MySQL

Re: Migrating from MySQL

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 06/26/10 11:22 PM, RP Khare wrote:
> I downloaded PostgreSQL plus advanced server from EnterpriseDB
> website. Should I go with the original community PGSQL edition or
> EnterpriseDB edition?

thats entirely up to your preferences and needs.    Personally, I think
that the standard PostgreSQL would more than suffice as a MySQL
replacement.  I thought most of the EntepriseDB specific features were
oriented around Oracle database compatibility.

Re: Migrating from MySQL

От
Jacqui Caren-home
Дата:
John R Pierce wrote:
> On 06/26/10 11:22 PM, RP Khare wrote:
>> I downloaded PostgreSQL plus advanced server from EnterpriseDB
>> website. Should I go with the original community PGSQL edition or
>> EnterpriseDB edition?
>
> thats entirely up to your preferences and needs.    Personally, I think
> that the standard PostgreSQL would more than suffice as a MySQL
> replacement.  I thought most of the EntepriseDB specific features were
> oriented around Oracle database compatibility.

See http://okbob.blogspot.com/2009/08/mysql-functions-for-postgresql.html?showComment=1250968406041

Re: Migrating from MySQL

От
Adrian von Bidder
Дата:
Heyho!

On Sunday 27 June 2010 08.22:09 RP Khare wrote:
> I downloaded PostgreSQL plus advanced server from EnterpriseDB website.
> Should I go with the original community PGSQL edition or EnterpriseDB
> edition?

If you work on a Linux/BSD/... OS distribution with a sane package manager,
I always try to work with the version that comes with the distribution: you
won't have to care about security updates and the like, they'll just come in
with the OS updates.

Of course, on Windows (and commercial Unices?), you don't have that choice.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Could this mail be a fake? (Answer: No! - http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/intro)