Обсуждение: which function should i invoke to create a table and insert tuples?

which function should i invoke to create a table and insert tuples?

От
sunpeng
Дата:
hi,when i do experiment on postgresql 8.4,i need to create a table and insert some tuples,which function should i invoke?
for example,i want to create a table with "create table test (uid int,catcode int)" and insert tuples with "insert into test values(1,1)".
thanks millions!

peng

Re: which function should i invoke to create a table and insert tuples?

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
hi,when i do experiment on postgresql 8.4,i need to create a table and insert some tuples,which function should i invoke?
for example,i want to create a table with "create table test (uid int,catcode int)" and insert tuples with "insert into test values(1,1)".
thanks millions!

peng

What is it you're testing?

You can insert many rows into a table by doing something like the following:

CREATE TABLE test
(
test_id serial,
test_num int
test_value int
)

INSERT INTO test (test_num, test_value)
SELECT s.a, ceil(random()*100) FROM generate_series(1,1000) as s(a);

That would just put 1,000 entries into the table, the first column would get its value from its sequence, the second from the series and the third would be random.

Regards

Thom

Re: which function should i invoke to create a table and insert tuples?

От
Thom Brown
Дата: