Обсуждение: ISP provider with postgres and perl dbi

ISP provider with postgres and perl dbi

От
John Gage
Дата:
I know this is perhaps an inappropriate question (and to some extent I
am repeating myself), but I now need to get my website up and running.

Would anyone be willing to suggest an ISP that offers virtual machines
running postgres and perl 5.8.8 or above with perl dbi?  The ideal
candidate would offer something reasonably priced with some level of
support.

The hub.org site is fairly opaque about its offerings these days, or,
given its heritage, I would go there immediately.  If M. Fournier is
listening, perhaps he can send a précis.

I apologize in advance for this intrusion.

John Gage

Re: ISP provider with postgres and perl dbi

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
On Apr 24, 2010, at 8:40 AM, John Gage wrote:

> I know this is perhaps an inappropriate question (and to some extent I am repeating myself), but I now need to get my
websiteup and running.

> Would anyone be willing to suggest an ISP that offers virtual machines running postgres and perl 5.8.8 or above with
perldbi?  The ideal candidate would offer something reasonably priced with some level of support.

If an ISP is offering virtual private servers (where you get full access to your own virtual machine) then installing
postgresqland perl on them will be trivial (just one command on popular linux distributions). So if you're wanting to
runthe database in your VM then most anyone offering VPS hosting will have what you need. You're unlikely to get perl
orpostgresql specific support - but your ISP isn't where you'd usually look for that.

If you want somewhere that offers both virtual machines and managed postgresql hosting that's tougher, but
http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_hostingis probably a good place to start.

Cheers,
  Steve

Re: ISP provider with postgres and perl dbi

От
John Gage
Дата:
Thank you for your reply and the reference.  Excellent.

On Apr 24, 2010, at 5:55 PM, Steve Atkins wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2010, at 8:40 AM, John Gage wrote:
>
>> I know this is perhaps an inappropriate question (and to some
>> extent I am repeating myself), but I now need to get my website up
>> and running.
>>
>> Would anyone be willing to suggest an ISP that offers virtual
>> machines running postgres and perl 5.8.8 or above with perl dbi?
>> The ideal candidate would offer something reasonably priced with
>> some level of support.
>
> If an ISP is offering virtual private servers (where you get full
> access to your own virtual machine) then installing postgresql and
> perl on them will be trivial (just one command on popular linux
> distributions). So if you're wanting to run the database in your VM
> then most anyone offering VPS hosting will have what you need.
> You're unlikely to get perl or postgresql specific support - but
> your ISP isn't where you'd usually look for that.
>
> If you want somewhere that offers both virtual machines and managed
> postgresql hosting that's tougher, but http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_hosting
>  is probably a good place to start.
>
> Cheers,
>  Steve

Re: Footnote: ISP provider with postgres and perl dbi

От
John Gage
Дата:
After carefully examining what was out there, decided again to go with
hub.org.

Thanks again

John