Обсуждение: Email address column verification for address list

Email address column verification for address list

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Email address field email has type character(200)
It can contain multiple e-mail addresses separated by comma.
Applying validation code below removes and does not allow comma separated
address list.

How to modify this so that comma separated address list is allowed ?
How to simplify/improve  this validation, probably some newer root domain
names are not allowed by this validation  ?

Andrus.

 update klient set email=null where email='' OR
 (trim(trailing from email) !~*

'^[^@]*@(?:[^@]*\\.)?[a-z0-9_-]+\\.(?:a[defgilmnoqrstuwz]|b[abdefghijmnorstvwyz]|c[acdfghiklmnoruvxyz]|d[ejkmoz]|e[ceghrst]|f[ijkmorx]|g[abdefhilmnpqrstuwy]|h[kmnrtu]|i[delnoqrst]|j[mop]|k[eghimnprwyz]|l[abcikrstuvy]|m[acdghklmnopqrstuvwxyz]|n[acefgilopruz]|om|p[aefghklmnrtwy]|qa|r[eouw]|s[abcdeghijklmnortvyz]|t[cdfghjkmnoprtvwz]|u[agkmsyz]|v[aceginu]|w[fs]|y[etu]|z[amw]|edu|com|net|org|gov|mil|info|biz|coop|museum|aero|name|pro|mobi|arpa|eu)$');alter
tableklient add check (trim(trailing from email)
~*'^[^@]*@(?:[^@]*\\.)?[a-z0-9_-]+\\.(?:a[defgilmnoqrstuwz]|b[abdefghijmnorstvwyz]|c[acdfghiklmnoruvxyz]|d[ejkmoz]|e[ceghrst]|f[ijkmorx]|g[abdefhilmnpqrstuwy]|h[kmnrtu]|i[delnoqrst]|j[mop]|k[eghimnprwyz]|l[abcikrstuvy]|m[acdghklmnopqrstuvwxyz]|n[acefgilopruz]|om|p[aefghklmnrtwy]|qa|r[eouw]|s[abcdeghijklmnortvyz]|t[cdfghjkmnoprtvwz]|u[agkmsyz]|v[aceginu]|w[fs]|y[etu]|z[amw]|edu|com|net|org|gov|mil|info|biz|coop|museum|aero|name|pro|mobi|arpa|eu)$');

Re: Email address column verification for address list

От
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Дата:
however you are going to validate it, create yourself a domain for it (custom type). That way, if it changes, you have to only update it in one place, instead of doing it on column by column basis.

Re: Email address column verification for address list

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
2010/4/13 Andrus <kobruleht2@hot.ee>:
> Email address field email has type character(200)
> It can contain multiple e-mail addresses separated by comma.
> Applying validation code below removes and does not allow comma separated
> address list.
>
> How to modify this so that comma separated address list is allowed ?
> How to simplify/improve  this validation, probably some newer root domain
> names are not allowed by this validation  ?
>
> Andrus.

Why don't you just separate them into individual fields (perhaps in a
separate table to have arbitrary many addresses)? What you're doing
violates 1NF - fields should be atomic (i.e. in their simplest form,
so you never have to parse values from them).

Here's a reasonable email address domain. Note that it is AS text, not
AS character(200). It does not attempt to match the TLD to a list of
known TLDs, nor should it (that's very probably impractical, at least
with regex):

CREATE DOMAIN email_address
  AS text
   CONSTRAINT email_address_check CHECK ((VALUE ~

'^(([A-Za-z0-9]+_+)|([A-Za-z0-9]+\\-+)|([A-Za-z0-9]+\\.+)|([A-Za-z0-9]+\\++))*[A-Za-z0-9]+@((\\w+\\-+)|(\\w+\\.))*\\w{1,63}\\.[a-zA-Z]{2,6}$'::text));

If you absolutely must put an arbitrary number of e-mail addresses in
one field, I suggest you use the domain in an array. Unfortunately,
arrays of domains are not directly supported, last I checked.

Could someone weigh in on how to roll this domain into a custom
email_address_array domain?

Regards,
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Email address column verification foraddress list

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Peter,

thank you.

> Why don't you just separate them into individual fields (perhaps in a
separate table to have arbitrary many addresses)? What you're doing
violates 1NF - fields should be atomic (i.e. in their simplest form,
so you never have to parse values from them).

This is existing database deployed to many sites and used by many programs.
Re-factoring db and software to add this minor feature seems to be not
reasonable. For 99% of cases field contains only single address.

> Here's a reasonable email address domain. Note that it is AS text, not
>AS character(200). It does not attempt to match the TLD to a list of
>known TLDs, nor should it (that's very probably impractical, at least
>with regex):

>CREATE DOMAIN email_address
>  AS text
>   CONSTRAINT email_address_check CHECK ((VALUE ~

>'^(([A-Za-z0-9]+_+)|([A-Za-z0-9]+\\-+)|([A-Za-z0-9]+\\.+)|([A-Za-z0-9]+\\++))*[A-Za-z0-9]+@((\\w+\\-+)|(\\w+\\.))*\\w{1,63}\\.[a-zA-Z]{2,6}$'::text));
>If you absolutely must put an arbitrary number of e-mail addresses in
one field, I suggest you use the domain in an array. Unfortunately,
arrays of domains are not directly supported, last I checked.

I don't know how to use arrrays to solve this.

How to create constraint for char(200) column for comma separated email list
?

Andrus.

Re: Email address column verification foraddress list

От
merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
Дата:

Andrus> This is existing database deployed to many sites and used by many programs.
Andrus> Re-factoring db and software to add this minor feature seems to be not
Andrus> reasonable. For 99% of cases field contains only single address.

So for most applications written against this database, they're probably
assuming only one email address in this column.

And then you confuse the issue by putting two or more comma-separated
addresses, which are not universally usable when a single address
is provided.

I sense this code will end up on thedailywtf.com[1] when you leave
and your successor discovers what you insanely tried to do.

[1] which should be mandatory reading for *all* devs, with the goal
    of "never let my code end up here"

Re: Email address column verification foraddresslist

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
> So for most applications written against this database, they're probably
> assuming only one email address in this column.

This column content is transparent to application.
It is passed to e-mail sender (blat.dll) without any processing.

> And then you confuse the issue by putting two or more comma-separated
> addresses, which are not universally usable when a single address
> is provided.

Application code does not process this column content. It passes it to
blat.dll which
can process list.

Andrus.

Re: Email address column verification foraddress list

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
> So for most applications written against this database, they're probably
> assuming only one email address in this column.
>
> And then you confuse the issue by putting two or more comma-separated
> addresses, which are not universally usable when a single address
> is provided.

Surely not Randal. Client application developers can simply read the
regex in the check constraint to see its behaviour :-)

Regards,
Peter Geoghegan