Обсуждение: beginner problems with count(*)

beginner problems with count(*)

От
Me Self
Дата:
Hello Im just getting started using postgres and Ive run run into a
problem with count(*):

When I do "select count(*) from mytable" or "select count(*) from
mytable where mycolumn=x" then I get wrong number. The number of rows
returned is lower than the actual number. How can that happen? The
table is generally updated from JDBC with autocommit true and there is
no concurrent acess to the database yet - so I shouldnt have any open
transactions. The first few rows in the table was added from
pgAdminIII which has had its database connection time out on occasions
long after I was finished doing any work though..

Im using postgres 8.4.0 on linux 32 bit. Hope someone can help?

Re: beginner problems with count(*)

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
> Hello Im just getting started using postgres and Ive run run into a
> problem with count(*):
>
> When I do "select count(*) from mytable" or "select count(*) from
> mytable where mycolumn=x" then I get wrong number. The number of rows
> returned is lower than the actual number. How can that happen? The

What exactly do you mean with 'actual number'? Let me guess: you have a
SERIAL column, and the current value is greater than the number of rows
returned by your select, right?

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
GnuPG: 0x31720C99, 1006 CCB4 A326 1D42 6431  2EB0 389D 1DC2 3172 0C99