Обсуждение: Possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?

Possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?

От
Moe
Дата:
Is it possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?

If so, how?

Thanks / Moe

Re: Possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 23:52 +0200, Moe wrote:
> Is it possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?

I assume you mean the issue where postgres folds all case of objects to
lower if they are not "". No.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.

Re: Possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?

От
Bill Moran
Дата:

> Is it possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?
>
> If so, how?

Keywords are always case-insensitive.

Identifiers are case-insensitive unless you surround them with "".

Strings are case-sensitive unless you use ILIKE or similar methods
of comparison.

All of these conform to what I'm used to in other database systems.

If the above doesn't answer your question, perhaps provide a little
more detail about what you're trying to do and where you're having
problems.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Re: Possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Moe <mohamed5432154321@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?
>
> If so, how?

What part, exactly, do you want to be case insensitive?  I assume you
mean a text / varchar type?  Look for citext, I believe it's a contrib
module, until 9.0 is out, which will include it natively.

Re: Possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Moe <mohamed5432154321@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?
>>
>> If so, how?
>
> What part, exactly, do you want to be case insensitive?  I assume you
> mean a text / varchar type?  Look for citext, I believe it's a contrib
> module, until 9.0 is out, which will include it natively.

It's here:
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/citext/
But it doesn't work in 8.3 or 8.4, only 8.2 and before.  So either run
that or wait for 9.0 I guess.

Re: Possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Moe <mohamed5432154321@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?
>>
>> If so, how?
>
> What part, exactly, do you want to be case insensitive?  I assume you
> mean a text / varchar type?  Look for citext, I believe it's a contrib
> module, until 9.0 is out, which will include it natively.

It's here:
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/citext/
But it doesn't work in 8.3 or 8.4, only 8.2 and before.  So either run
that or wait for 9.0 I guess.

Sorry, I forgot I posted the message. What I mean was that a query select * from where email = ? could match on both upper and lower case emails, such myEmail@hotmail.com or myemail@hotmail.com

I know I can use the lower(...) function but this is not an option when using hibernate.

MySql is by default case insensitive, I just figured there'd be an option to turn it on in PG as well.

What about 9.0 ? How is that going to be offered ?

For now I just normalized all emails to lower cased, and changed so that they are always saved in lower.. but there are other columns that are likely to need similar mathing ( firstname, lastname, address ... ) where lowering is not an option, and where storing in a separate column is really ugly. The like possibility is probably just slow.

Sincerely / Moe

Re: Possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 07:35:45PM +0200, Moe wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > What part, exactly, do you want to be case insensitive?  I assume you
> > > mean a text / varchar type?  Look for citext, I believe it's a contrib
> > > module, until 9.0 is out, which will include it natively.
> >
> > It's here:
> > http://pgfoundry.org/projects/citext/
> > But it doesn't work in 8.3 or 8.4, only 8.2 and before.  So either run
> > that or wait for 9.0 I guess.
> >

> Sorry, I forgot I posted the message. What I mean was that a query select *
> from where email = ? could match on both upper and lower case emails, such
> myEmail@hotmail.com or myemail@hotmail.com
>
> I know I can use the lower(...) function but this is not an option when
> using hibernate.
>
> MySql is by default case insensitive, I just figured there'd be an option to
> turn it on in PG as well.

You can use citext, a supplied module.

> What about 9.0 ? How is that going to be offered ?

When it's ready! :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!