Обсуждение: Split pg_dump dump into files and then combine it back

Split pg_dump dump into files and then combine it back

От
Dmitry Koterov
Дата:
Hello.

Is there a tool (or a way) to parse a pg_dump'ed (structure only) dump file into smaller files (each function in its own file, its table in its own etc.) with ability to combine these files later into the proper dump file?

The main problem is dependencies. Sometimes functions are defined before types, sometimes after. The same for cross-schema references. Dump parsing is simple, but this process drops dependencies between objects and could not be reversed easily.

Re: Split pg_dump dump into files and then combine it back

Дата:
Dmitry Koterov <dmitry@koterov.ru> writes:
> Is there a tool (or a way) to parse a pg_dump'ed (structure only) dump file
> into smaller files (each function in its own file, its table in its own
> etc.) with ability to combine these files later into the proper dump file?

> The main problem is dependencies. Sometimes functions are defined before
> types, sometimes after. The same for cross-schema references. Dump parsing
> is simple, but this process drops dependencies between objects and could not
> be reversed easily.

I don't know of any existing tool.  However, pg_dump can be told to
print out its internal dependency information, so in principle you could
build one that looks at that info and reconstitutes the chunks in a safe
order.  I'm not sure I see the point though ...

            regards, tom lane