Обсуждение: Understanding 'could not read block'

Understanding 'could not read block'

От
stevesub
Дата:
Hi,

I have a table of about 693 million rows (80gb) of position data (standard
object,timestamp,position,etc).

Every time I try to build some statistics by creating a table, such as:
> create table pos_stats1 as
> select id,year,month,count(1) from positions group by id,year,month;

I get an error:
> ERROR:  could not read block 8519713 of temporary file: Permission denied

I get a similar error sometimes on indexes.  What problem am I hitting here?
The drive and permissions all seem fine & the query runs for a long time
before hitting this error.  I've turned off virus scan & it seems to have no
effect.

Thanks.

--
Windows Server 2003
PostgreSQL Version 8.3.0

Re: Understanding 'could not read block'

От
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz

I have a table of about 693 million rows (80gb) of position data (standard
object,timestamp,position,etc).

Every time I try to build some statistics by creating a table, such as:
> create table pos_stats1 as
> select id,year,month,count(1) from positions group by id,year,month;

I get an error:
> ERROR:  could not read block 8519713 of temporary file: Permission denied

I get a similar error sometimes on indexes.  What problem am I hitting here?
The drive and permissions all seem fine & the query runs for a long time
before hitting this error.  I've turned off virus scan & it seems to have no
effect.

Thanks.

--
Windows Server 2003
PostgreSQL Version 8.3.0

Upgrade to 8.3.8
try switching off any antivirus software running.

--
GJ

Re: Understanding 'could not read block'

>> ERROR:  could not read block 8519713 of temporary file: Permission denied

> try switching off any antivirus software running.

The usual advice is to actually *uninstall* whatever antivirus software
you are running.  Some of it is so broken that it keeps on rejecting
things at random even when nominally turned off.

My private advice is to get off Windows.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Understanding 'could not read block'

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 05:14 -0700, stevesub wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a table of about 693 million rows (80gb) of position data (standard
> object,timestamp,position,etc).
>
> Every time I try to build some statistics by creating a table, such as:
> > create table pos_stats1 as
> > select id,year,month,count(1) from positions group by id,year,month;
>
> I get an error:
> > ERROR:  could not read block 8519713 of temporary file: Permission denied
>
> I get a similar error sometimes on indexes.  What problem am I hitting here?
> The drive and permissions all seem fine & the query runs for a long time
> before hitting this error.  I've turned off virus scan & it seems to have no
> effect.

It means the permissions on the physical file are such that your
postgres service user can't read them.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
If the world pushes look it in the eye and GRR. Then push back harder. - Salamander

Re: Understanding 'could not read block'

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата: