Обсуждение: Return 30% of results?

Return 30% of results?

От
Nick
Дата:
Is there a way to return a percentage of the rows found? I tried
window functions but get an error...

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "OVER"

SELECT id, cume_dist FROM (
  SELECT id, cume_dist() OVER (ORDER BY id) FROM employees
) s
WHERE cume_dist < 0.3

Re: Return 30% of results?

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Nick wrote on 18.09.2009 23:31:
> Is there a way to return a percentage of the rows found? I tried
> window functions but get an error...
>
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "OVER"
>
> SELECT id, cume_dist FROM (
>   SELECT id, cume_dist() OVER (ORDER BY id) FROM employees
> ) s
> WHERE cume_dist < 0.3

Works for me. Are you sure you are using Postgrs 8.4?
(Windowing functions are not available in earlier versions)

Regards
Thomas

Re: Return 30% of results?

От
Martin Gainty
Дата:
//Display the top 40 % of rows in BB_DEPARTMENT

SQL> select ROWNUM,ID FROM EMPLOYEES WHERE ROWNUM < .3*(SELECT COUNT(ID) FROM BB
_DEPARTMENT) GROUP BY ROWNUM,ID;

ROWNUM
----------
1
HTH
Martin Gainty

> From: nboutelier@gmail.com
> Subject: [GENERAL] Return 30% of results?
> Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:31:29 -0700
> To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>
> Is there a way to return a percentage of the rows found? I tried
> window functions but get an error...
>
> ERROR: syntax error at or near "OVER"
>
> SELECT id, cume_dist FROM (
> SELECT id, cume_dist() OVER (ORDER BY id) FROM employees
> ) s
> WHERE cume_dist < 0.3

Re: Return 30% of results?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 07:54:30PM -0400, Martin Gainty wrote:

> //Display the top 40 % of rows in BB_DEPARTMENT
>
> SQL> select ROWNUM,ID FROM EMPLOYEES WHERE ROWNUM < .3*(SELECT COUNT(ID) FROM BB
> _DEPARTMENT) GROUP BY ROWNUM,ID;
>
>     ROWNUM
> ----------
>          1
> HTH
> Martin Gainty

That's Oracle, not PostgreSQL.  Are you really trying to help here?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Return 30% of results?

От
nick
Дата:
On Sep 18, 3:40 pm, spam_ea...@gmx.net (Thomas Kellerer) wrote:
> Nick wrote on 18.09.2009 23:31:> Is there a way to return a percentage of the rows found? I tried
> > window functions but get an error...
>
> > ERROR:  syntax error at or near "OVER"
>
> > SELECT id, cume_dist FROM (
> >   SELECT id, cume_dist() OVER (ORDER BY id) FROM employees
> > ) s
> > WHERE cume_dist < 0.3
>
> Works for me. Are you sure you are using Postgrs 8.4?
> (Windowing functions are not available in earlier versions)
>
> Regards
> Thomas

Yeah, im actually not using 8.4. Any other alternatives?

Re: Return 30% of results?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 12:27:10AM -0700, nick wrote:
> On Sep 18, 3:40 pm, spam_ea...@gmx.net (Thomas Kellerer) wrote:
> > Nick wrote on 18.09.2009 23:31:> Is there a way to return a percentage of the rows found? I tried
> > > window functions but get an error...
> >
> > > ERROR:  syntax error at or near "OVER"
> >
> > > SELECT id, cume_dist FROM (
> > >   SELECT id, cume_dist() OVER (ORDER BY id) FROM employees
> > > ) s
> > > WHERE cume_dist < 0.3
> >
> > Works for me. Are you sure you are using Postgrs 8.4?
> > (Windowing functions are not available in earlier versions)
> >
> > Regards
> > Thomas
> >
> > --
>
> Yeah, im actually not using 8.4. Any other alternatives?

The easiest way would be to upgrade to 8.4 because the workarounds for
previous versions are complicated and bug-prone.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Return 30% of results?

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 3:27 AM, nick <nboutelier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 18, 3:40 pm, spam_ea...@gmx.net (Thomas Kellerer) wrote:
>> Nick wrote on 18.09.2009 23:31:> Is there a way to return a percentage of the rows found? I tried
>> > window functions but get an error...
>>
>> > ERROR:  syntax error at or near "OVER"
>>
>> > SELECT id, cume_dist FROM (
>> >   SELECT id, cume_dist() OVER (ORDER BY id) FROM employees
>> > ) s
>> > WHERE cume_dist < 0.3
>>
>> Works for me. Are you sure you are using Postgrs 8.4?
>> (Windowing functions are not available in earlier versions)

Using 8.3? You can use arrays to stack a set and then pull some records out:

create or replace function some_employees() returns setof employee as
$$
declare
  employees_arr employees[];
  n_found int;
  n_returned int;
begin
  select array
  (
    select employees from employees
     where x order by y
  ) into employees_arr;

  n_found := array_upper(employees_arr, 1);
  n_returned := n_found * 0.3;
  return query select (e).* from unnest(employees_arr[1:n_returned]) as e;
end;
$$ language plpgsql;

couple notes:
*) 8.3 has doesn't have unnest, but it can be made (google array_explode).
*) probably some typos in above...i didn't test it
*) needs some error checking
*) not scalable to huge numbers of records
*) 8.4 can do this much easier!

merlin