Обсуждение: wrong error from ./configure in pgsql 8.3.8 for libxml

wrong error from ./configure in pgsql 8.3.8 for libxml

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
Was building pgsql 8.3.8 from source on a new install of Centos 5.2,
and got this error from ./configure --with-libxml :

checking for xmlSaveToBuffer in -lxml2... no
configure: error: library 'xml2' (version >= 2.6.23) is required for XML support

But I had libxml2 v 2.6.26 or so installed.  The real problem was that
libxml2-devel wasn't installed.  No big deal, just thought I'd mention
it.

Re: wrong error from ./configure in pgsql 8.3.8 for libxml

Дата:
Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> Was building pgsql 8.3.8 from source on a new install of Centos 5.2,
> and got this error from ./configure --with-libxml :

> checking for xmlSaveToBuffer in -lxml2... no
> configure: error: library 'xml2' (version >= 2.6.23) is required for XML support

> But I had libxml2 v 2.6.26 or so installed.  The real problem was that
> libxml2-devel wasn't installed.

Well, in point of fact the library is *not* there so far as configure
can tell --- there's no libxml2.so or libxml2.a file.  And in any case
we're not going to put in anything as platform-specific as suggesting
that you might need a -devel RPM (to say nothing of the similar but not
identical packaging conventions on other platforms).  I think that's
just something you have to know about if you're building software on Red
Hat-based platforms.

            regards, tom lane

Re: wrong error from ./configure in pgsql 8.3.8 for libxml

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
>> Was building pgsql 8.3.8 from source on a new install of Centos 5.2,
>> and got this error from ./configure --with-libxml :
>
>> checking for xmlSaveToBuffer in -lxml2... no
>> configure: error: library 'xml2' (version >= 2.6.23) is required for XML support
>
>> But I had libxml2 v 2.6.26 or so installed.  The real problem was that
>> libxml2-devel wasn't installed.
>
> Well, in point of fact the library is *not* there so far as configure
> can tell --- there's no libxml2.so or libxml2.a file.  And in any case

Ahhh, I see, the regular rpm installs the libxml2.so, the -devel
installs the link to libxml2.so.2.6.26

Got it.