Обсуждение: ubuntu packages for 8.4

ubuntu packages for 8.4

От
Tim Uckun
Дата:
I don't see any ubuntu packages for 8.4 in the default repositories.

Does anybody know if they will be upgrading the postgresql package to
8.4 or creating a new package for it.

I'd rather use the packages than to compile it myself. If anybody has
an argument as to why I should compile it I am all ears.

TIA.

Re: ubuntu packages for 8.4

От
Bret Fledderjohn

I don't see any ubuntu packages for 8.4 in the default repositories.

Does anybody know if they will be upgrading the postgresql package to
8.4 or creating a new package for it.

I'd rather use the packages than to compile it myself. If anybody has
an argument as to why I should compile it I am all ears.

I just forwarded your message to Martin Pitt, he's the package maintain for Postgres for Ubuntu (and Debian, I believe).  I don't know if this is planned for Karmic Koala (to be released in October).

--
- Bret

Re: ubuntu packages for 8.4

От
Scott Bailey
Tim Uckun wrote:
> I don't see any ubuntu packages for 8.4 in the default repositories.
>
> Does anybody know if they will be upgrading the postgresql package to
> 8.4 or creating a new package for it.
>
> I'd rather use the packages than to compile it myself. If anybody has
> an argument as to why I should compile it I am all ears.
>
> TIA.

I was looking for this the other day. I found it in lenny backports, but
I haven't tried it yet.

http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/postgresql-8.4

Re: ubuntu packages for 8.4

От
Stuart Bishop
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Tim Uckun<timuckun@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see any ubuntu packages for 8.4 in the default repositories.
>
> Does anybody know if they will be upgrading the postgresql package to
> 8.4 or creating a new package for it.

The postgresql-8.4 packages arrived in 9.10 (Karmic) about two hours
ago. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postgresql-8.4

Assuming you are not running the 9.10 prerelease, you may want to
request a backport to whatever Ubuntu release you are running -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackport. This should be no
drama.

Major postgresql releases always get a new package. This allows you to
have multiple major versions installed and running simultaneously.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/

Re: ubuntu packages for 8.4

От
Tim Uckun
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Stuart Bishop<stuart@stuartbishop.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Tim Uckun<timuckun@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't see any ubuntu packages for 8.4 in the default repositories.
>>
>> Does anybody know if they will be upgrading the postgresql package to
>> 8.4 or creating a new package for it.
>
> The postgresql-8.4 packages arrived in 9.10 (Karmic) about two hours
> ago. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postgresql-8.4
>
> Assuming you are not running the 9.10 prerelease, you may want to
> request a backport to whatever Ubuntu release you are running -
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackport. This should be no
> drama.
>
> Major postgresql releases always get a new package. This allows you to
> have multiple major versions installed and running simultaneously.

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the information.

Re: ubuntu packages for 8.4

От
Jasen Betts
Дата:
On 2009-07-10, Tim Uckun <timuckun@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see any ubuntu packages for 8.4 in the default repositories.
>
> Does anybody know if they will be upgrading the postgresql package to
> 8.4 or creating a new package for it.

As 8.4 is not data-compatible with 8.3, it will be a new package.
if ubuntu are usiung pg-wrapper (like debian does) you will be able to
install both at the same time using the normal package manager.

> I'd rather use the packages than to compile it myself. If anybody has
> an argument as to why I should compile it I am all ears.

you should wait. 8.4 is in debian now so should be in ubuntu RSN.

Re: ubuntu packages for 8.4

От
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Дата:
On Monday 13. July 2009, Jasen Betts wrote:
>you should wait. 8.4 is in debian now so should be in ubuntu RSN.

One day I'm sure it will even be available in Gentoo.

*sigh*
Me And My Database: http://solumslekt.org/blog/