Обсуждение: Windows installer for pg-8.4 confusion

Windows installer for pg-8.4 confusion

От
Stuart McGraw
Дата:
First, thanks to everyone who contributed
to 8.4 -- the new features list looks great!

In the past I have always installed the
Windows binary installer from postgresql.org.
For pg-8.4 I see that the download directory
now has a pointer to the EnterpriseDB "one
click" installer.

Has the EnterpriseDB installer now become the
"official" Windows distribution?  Or will the
standard pginstaller appear some time in the
future?

Re: Windows installer for pg-8.4 confusion

От
Andreas Wenk
Дата:
Stuart McGraw schrieb:
> First, thanks to everyone who contributed
> to 8.4 -- the new features list looks great!
>
> In the past I have always installed the
> Windows binary installer from postgresql.org.
> For pg-8.4 I see that the download directory
> now has a pointer to the EnterpriseDB "one
> click" installer.
>
> Has the EnterpriseDB installer now become the
> "official" Windows distribution?  Or will the
> standard pginstaller appear some time in the
> future?

Hi,

having a look at

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.4rc1/win32/

will answer your question ;-)

Cheers

Andy

Re: Windows installer for pg-8.4 confusion

От
Stuart McGraw
Дата:
Andreas Wenk wrote:
> Stuart McGraw schrieb:
>> First, thanks to everyone who contributed
>> to 8.4 -- the new features list looks great!
>>
>> In the past I have always installed the
>> Windows binary installer from postgresql.org.
>> For pg-8.4 I see that the download directory
>> now has a pointer to the EnterpriseDB "one
>> click" installer.
>>
>> Has the EnterpriseDB installer now become the
>> "official" Windows distribution?  Or will the
>> standard pginstaller appear some time in the
>> future?
>
> Hi,
>
> having a look at
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.4rc1/win32/

Thanks, it did. :-)
For future mail list searchers, it says,

"As of PostgreSQL 8.4, the MSI installer is no
longer being maintained.  Please use the one-click
installer instead, which may be downloaded from [...]"

[aside to the postgresql.org maintainers: Perhaps
the readme in the v8.4.0/win32/ directory should
also include that statement?]

Re: Windows installer for pg-8.4 confusion

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/7/6 Stuart McGraw <smcg2297@frii.com>:
>>> Has the EnterpriseDB installer now become the
>>> "official" Windows distribution?  Or will the
>>> standard pginstaller appear some time in the
>>> future?

No, it won't be produced in the future. It's been deprecated due to
the high maintenance overhead and how difficult it is to debug
problems, amongst other reasons.

> [aside to the postgresql.org maintainers: Perhaps
> the readme in the v8.4.0/win32/ directory should
> also include that statement?]

I've updated the wording, and removed the old beta/rc directories. The
changes should show up in the next few hours.

--
Dave Page

Re: Windows installer for pg-8.4 confusion

Дата:
Stuart McGraw wrote:
> First, thanks to everyone who contributed
> to 8.4 -- the new features list looks great!
>
> In the past I have always installed the
> Windows binary installer from postgresql.org.
> For pg-8.4 I see that the download directory
> now has a pointer to the EnterpriseDB "one
> click" installer.
>
> Has the EnterpriseDB installer now become the
> "official" Windows distribution?  Or will the
> standard pginstaller appear some time in the
> future?

The EnterpriseDB is now the standard and the MSI one will not be
returning.  The MSI one was just too hard to build and didn't have any
advantages of the EnterpriseDB one.  We do have all the specs of how to
build the EnterpriseDB one so anyone else can reproduce it if necessary.