Обсуждение: Doubt about join queries

Doubt about join queries

От
jc_mich
Дата:
Hello I have a table with clients and other with stores, I want to calculate minimum distances between stores and clients, the client name and its closer store. At this moment I can only get clients ids and minimum distances grouping by client id, but when I try to join their respective store id, postgres requires me to add store id in group clause and it throws as many rows as the product of number clients and stores. This result is wrong, I only expect the minimum distance for every client. My code looks like this: SELECT distances.client_id, min(distances.distance) FROM( SELECT stores.id AS store_id, clients.id AS client_id, sqrt(power(store.x)+power(store.y)) AS distance FROM stores, clients WHERE 1=1 ORDER BY stores.id, dist) AS distances GROUP BY distances.client_id; Also I've tried this: SELECT clients.id, MIN(distances.distance) FROM stores, clients LEFT JOIN(SELECT clients.id AS client_id, stores.id, sqrt(power(stores.x)+power(stores.y)) AS distance FROM stores, clients WHERE 1=1) distances ON distances.client_id = clients.id GROUP BY clients.id Thanks in advance!

Re: Doubt about join clause

От
Bill Moran
Дата:

> Hello
>
> I have a table with clients and other with stores, I want to calculate
> minimum distances between stores and clients, the client name and its closer
> store.
>
> At this moment I can only get clients ids and minimum distances grouping by
> client id, but when I try to join their respective store id, postgres
> requires me to add store id in group clause and it throws as many rows as
> the product of number clients and stores. This result is wrong, I only
> expect the minimum distance for every client.
>
> My code looks like this:
>
> SELECT distances.client_id, min(distances.distance) FROM(
> SELECT stores.id AS store_id, clients.id AS client_id,
> sqrt(power(store.x)+power(store.y)) AS distance
> FROM stores, clients
> WHERE 1=1
> ORDER BY stores.id, dist) AS distances GROUP BY distances.client_id;
>
> Also I've tried this:
> SELECT clients.id, MIN(distances.distance)
> FROM stores, clients LEFT JOIN(SELECT clients.id AS client_id, stores.id,
> sqrt(power(stores.x)+power(stores.y)) AS distance
> FROM stores, clients
> WHERE 1=1) distances
> ON distances.client_id = clients.id GROUP BY clients.id
>
> Thanks in advance!

Something like this should work, (assuming I understand your tables):

SELECT clients.id, stores.id,
  min(sqrt(power(clients.x-stores.x)+power(clients.y-stores.y))
 FROM clients, stores
 GROUP BY clients.id, stores.id;

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Re: Doubt about join clause

От
jc_mich
Дата:
You've understood very well my problem, but also this query works as worse
than everything I did before, it throws as many rows as rows are contained
my tables clients and stores. I only want to find for every client what
store is closer to him, I expect one client to one store and their distance

Thanks a lot

Bill Moran wrote:

>> Hello
>>
>> I have a table with clients and other with stores, I want to calculate
>> minimum distances between stores and clients, the client name and its
>> closer
>> store.
>>
>> At this moment I can only get clients ids and minimum distances grouping
>> by
>> client id, but when I try to join their respective store id, postgres
>> requires me to add store id in group clause and it throws as many rows as
>> the product of number clients and stores. This result is wrong, I only
>> expect the minimum distance for every client.
>>
>> My code looks like this:
>>
>> SELECT distances.client_id, min(distances.distance) FROM(
>> SELECT stores.id AS store_id, clients.id AS client_id,
>> sqrt(power(store.x)+power(store.y)) AS distance
>> FROM stores, clients
>> WHERE 1=1
>> ORDER BY stores.id, dist) AS distances GROUP BY distances.client_id;
>>
>> Also I've tried this:
>> SELECT clients.id, MIN(distances.distance)
>> FROM stores, clients LEFT JOIN(SELECT clients.id AS client_id, stores.id,
>> sqrt(power(stores.x)+power(stores.y)) AS distance
>> FROM stores, clients
>> WHERE 1=1) distances
>> ON distances.client_id = clients.id GROUP BY clients.id
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>
> Something like this should work, (assuming I understand your tables):
>
> SELECT clients.id, stores.id,
>   min(sqrt(power(clients.x-stores.x)+power(clients.y-stores.y))
>  FROM clients, stores
>  GROUP BY clients.id, stores.id;
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> http://www.potentialtech.com
> http://people.collaborativefusion.com/~wmoran/

Re: Doubt about join clause

От
David Wilson
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 7:39 PM, jc_mich <juan.michaca@paasel.com> wrote:

> You've understood very well my problem, but also this query works as worse
> than everything I did before, it throws as many rows as rows are contained
> my tables clients and stores. I only want to find for every client what
> store is closer to him, I expect one client to one store and their distance

select clients.id as client_id, (select stores.id from stores order by
(power(clients.x-stores.x)+power(clients.y-stores.y)) asc limit 1) as
store_id from clients;

Should do the trick, or at least something very similar.

--
- David T. Wilson
david.t.wilson@gmail.com

Re: Doubt about join clause

От
Sam Mason
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 08:02:49PM -0400, David Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 7:39 PM, jc_mich <juan.michaca@paasel.com> wrote:
> > You've understood very well my problem, but also this query works as worse
> > than everything I did before, it throws as many rows as rows are contained
> > my tables clients and stores. I only want to find for every client what
> > store is closer to him, I expect one client to one store and their distance
>
> select clients.id as client_id, (select stores.id from stores order by
> (power(clients.x-stores.x)+power(clients.y-stores.y)) asc limit 1) as
> store_id from clients;
>
> Should do the trick, or at least something very similar.

Another option would be to use DISTINCT ON and the geometric bits in PG,
something like:

  SELECT DISTINCT ON (client_id) client_id, store_id, distance
  FROM (
    SELECT c.id AS client_id, s.id AS store_id, point(c.x,c.y) <-> point(s.x,s.y) AS distance
    FROM clients c, stores s)
  ORDER BY client_id, distance;

I'd also expect there to be some GiST magic that can be weaved to get
the above to work somewhat efficiently.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/

Re: Doubt about join queries

От
Filip Rembiałkowski

[...]

It would be much easier if you show actual database schema.

It is not clear what is the meaning of stores.x and stores.y variables - what do they measure. If they are just coordinates, then where are client coordinates stored?

--
Filip Rembiałkowski
JID,mailto:filip.rembialkowski@gmail.com

Re: Doubt about join queries

От
jc_mich
Дата:
The problem is not the formula, the problem is the join. I've summarized it
because is a large formula and I've got right results

Here is the complete code code, stores and clients have a longitude and
latitude, and ponderator is a demand variable:

SELECT distances.client_id, min(distances.dist) FROM(
    SELECT stores.id AS store_id, clients.id AS client_id,

6378*stores.ponderator*acos(cos((90-clients.lat)*(pi()/180))*cos((90-stores.lat)*(pi()/180))+sin((90-clients.lat)*(pi()/180))*sin((90-stores.lat)*(pi()/180))*cos((clients.lon-stores.lon)*(pi()/180)))
AS dist
 FROM stores, clients
 WHERE stores.ponderator IS NOT NULL) AS distances GROUP BY
distances.client_id;

And if I use DISTINCT ON on the column client_id, it only takes one id:
client                store            mindist
151220001004-8        1        45.6380309516689
151220001005-2        1        46.0792813322767
151220001006-7        1        46.5147573468595
151220001007-1        1        47.2687415561174
151220001008-6        1        45.8824501966662
151220001009-0        1        44.4038586264495
151220001012-2        1        42.8882442536237

I only want to assign to each client a store in function of the minimum
distance between them.

Thanks

Best regards

Filip Rembiałkowski-3 wrote:

> 2009/4/20 jc_mich <juan.michaca@paasel.com>
>

>> Hello
>>
>> I have a table with clients and other with stores, I want to calculate
>> minimum distances between stores and clients, the client name and its
>> closer
>> store.
>>
>> At this moment I can only get clients ids and minimum distances grouping
>> by
>> client id, but when I try to join their respective store id, postgres
>> requires me to add store id in group clause and it throws as many rows as
>> the product of number clients and stores. This result is wrong, I only
>> expect the minimum distance for every client.
>>
>> My code looks like this:
>>
>> SELECT distances.client_id, min(distances.distance) FROM(
>> SELECT stores.id AS store_id, clients.id AS client_id,
>> sqrt(power(store.x)+power(store.y)) AS distance
>> FROM stores, clients
>> WHERE 1=1
>> ORDER BY stores.id, dist) AS distances GROUP BY distances.client_id;
>>
>> Also I've tried this:
>> SELECT clients.id, MIN(distances.distance)
>> FROM stores, clients LEFT JOIN(SELECT clients.id AS client_id, stores.id,
>> sqrt(power(stores.x)+power(stores.y)) AS distance
>> FROM stores, clients
>> WHERE 1=1) distances
>> ON distances.client_id = clients.id GROUP BY clients.id
>>

> It would be much easier if you show actual database schema.
>
> It is not clear what is the meaning of stores.x and stores.y variables -
> what do they measure. If they are just coordinates, then where are client
> coordinates stored?
>

> --
> Filip Rembiałkowski
> JID,mailto:filip.rembialkowski@gmail.com
> http://filip.rembialkowski.net/

Re: Doubt about join queries

От
jc_mich
Дата:
> [...]

>> SELECT distances.client_id, min(distances.distance) FROM(
>> SELECT stores.id AS store_id, clients.id AS client_id,
>> sqrt(power(store.x)+power(store.y)) AS distance
>> FROM stores, clients
>> WHERE 1=1
>> ORDER BY stores.id, dist) AS distances GROUP BY distances.client_id;
>>
>> Also I've tried this:
>> SELECT clients.id, MIN(distances.distance)
>> FROM stores, clients LEFT JOIN(SELECT clients.id AS client_id, stores.id,
>> sqrt(power(stores.x)+power(stores.y)) AS distance
>> FROM stores, clients
>> WHERE 1=1) distances
>> ON distances.client_id = clients.id GROUP BY clients.id
>>

> It would be much easier if you show actual database schema.
>
> It is not clear what is the meaning of stores.x and stores.y variables -
> what do they measure. If they are just coordinates, then where are client

Дата:
> [...]

>> SELECT distances.client_id, min(distances.distance) FROM(
>> SELECT stores.id AS store_id, clients.id AS client_id,
>> sqrt(power(store.x)+power(store.y)) AS distance
>> FROM stores, clients
>> WHERE 1=1
>> ORDER BY stores.id, dist) AS distances GROUP BY distances.client_id;
>>
>> Also I've tried this:
>> SELECT clients.id, MIN(distances.distance)
>> FROM stores, clients LEFT JOIN(SELECT clients.id AS client_id, stores.id,
>> sqrt(power(stores.x)+power(stores.y)) AS distance
>> FROM stores, clients
>> WHERE 1=1) distances
>> ON distances.client_id = clients.id GROUP BY clients.id
>>

> It would be much easier if you show actual database schema.
>
> It is not clear what is the meaning of stores.x and stores.y variables -
> what do they measure. If they are just coordinates, then where are client

Michael Nolan