Обсуждение: New 8.4 features

New 8.4 features

От
Oliver Kohll - Mailing Lists
Дата:
Hello,

Some of the new language features in 8.4 seem like pretty major
additions. I know that the window functions will be very useful. There
have been many times in the past when I've wanted to aggregate in this
way:

http://elegantcode.com/2009/01/04/sql-window-clause/

If this is possible now it'll help massively in rapid prototyping - in
the past, reports involving aggregates have needed the most time to
develop.

Another interesting feature is recursive SQL.

I know 8.4 is only just in beta but it would be good to learn what is
(and isn't) possible. These seem like the sorts of things that would
get good writeups at varlena.com but I see there haven't been any new
posts there in a couple of years. My question is, is anyone planning
to blog / write focussing on these features?

Oliver Kohll
www.gtwm.co.uk - company
www.gtportalbase.com - product

Re: New 8.4 features

От
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Дата:
There's quite few articles about it on depesz.com. And since I started
to blog recently about my own skirmishes/encounters with postgresql
too - I'll probably write something about it.
So far, personally - I used WITH() for PI calculations, as an example.

Re: New 8.4 features

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Oliver Kohll - Mailing Lists wrote:

> My question is, is anyone planning to blog / write focussing on these
> features?

There's been regular blog posting from Hubert Lubaczewski in particular
covering 8.4 features for over a year now.
http://www.planetpostgresql.org/ is a good place to find PostgreSQL
oriented blogs at.

I've been collecting 8.4 related blog and talk presentations onto a list
at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Waiting_for_8.4 and encourage others to
expand on that with ones I've missed.

Re: New 8.4 features

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Greg Smith wrote:

> I've been collecting 8.4 related blog and talk presentations onto a list
> at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Waiting_for_8.4 and encourage others
> to expand on that with ones I've missed.

http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/328591/3fdb051da4bfee26/

Re: New 8.4 features

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 16:17 +0100, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
> There's quite few articles about it on depesz.com. And since I started
> to blog recently about my own skirmishes/encounters with postgresql
> too - I'll probably write something about it.
> So far, personally - I used WITH() for PI calculations, as an example.

David Fetter also has a lot of material (mostly talk slides) at
http://fetter.org/

    Jeff Davis