Обсуждение: metadata development

metadata development

От
"Dara Olson"

Happy spring.

I am new to postgres/postgis and am trying to figure out the best way to approach documenting metadata within postgres.  Has there been anything developed to add FGDC or Dublin Core standard metadata records into postgres for each table within the database?  Is there any program that can access postgres to insert metadata based on a standard or any other way to document metadata for a postgres database?  Any help, suggestions or advice from prior experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dara

Re: metadata development

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Dara Olson <dolson@glifwc.org> wrote:
> Happy spring.
>
> I am new to postgres/postgis and am trying to figure out the best way to
> approach documenting metadata within postgres.  Has there been anything
> developed to add FGDC or Dublin Core standard metadata records into postgres
> for each table within the database?  Is there any program that can access
> postgres to insert metadata based on a standard or any other way to document
> metadata for a postgres database?  Any help, suggestions or advice from
> prior experiences would be greatly appreciated.

It's already defined within the database, both in the pg_xxx series of
tables and with the information_schema.  Not sure what you need
besides that , as I'm not familiar with FGDC or Dublin Core standards.

Re: metadata development

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 10:44 -0500, Dara Olson wrote:

> I am new to postgres/postgis and am trying to figure out the best way
> to approach documenting metadata within postgres.  Has there been
> anything developed to add FGDC or Dublin Core standard metadata
> records into postgres for each table within the database?  Is there
> any program that can access postgres to insert metadata based on a
> standard or any other way to document metadata for a postgres
> database?  Any help, suggestions or advice from prior experiences
> would be greatly appreciated.

The only way we have of adding additional metadata onto an object is via
the COMMENT command, which accepts a text string as input.

You can fill that with metadata as much as you like - the system never
touches that information other than to store it. So you can put an XML
fragment with Dublin Core tags in there etc.

I think your suggestion that we should have a/another field to store
structured metadata about objects is a good one. It would certainly
encourage better documentation in-database. Perhaps as an additional XML
column.

Re: metadata development

От
Eric Schwarzenbach
Дата:
Dara Olson wrote:

> Happy spring.
>
> I am new to postgres/postgis and am trying to figure out the best way
> to approach documenting metadata within postgres.  Has there been
> anything developed to add FGDC or Dublin Core standard metadata
> records into postgres for each table within the database?  Is there
> any program that can access postgres to insert metadata based on a
> standard or any other way to document metadata for a postgres
> database?  Any help, suggestions or advice from prior experiences
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dara

I'm curious how this would be useful. Why would you want to associate
that sort of information with tables as metadata? Dublin core is a
metadata standard for "information resources" like documents (Tile,
Creator, Publisher, Author, Rights, etc), and FGDC is Geographic data. I
can easily imagine wanting to store such information in your database
using actual tables, as information about "entities" represented in your
database schema, but I don't think attaching it as metadata to a table
is really an appropriate solution. But I don't understand the scenario
you have in mind, and perhaps you could explain the scenario where this
makes sense.

I suspect you are reaching for database metadata simply because these
standards are often described as metadata; but these are usages of the
word "metadata" in very different contexts. What is called metadata in
many contexts is simply becomes data from the context of using a
relational database to represent it.

Eric

Re: metadata development

От