Обсуждение: Special charaters

Special charaters

От
ANKITBHATNAGAR
Дата:
Hi
This happens when I import csv file via my app into postgres.
The csv file has some  “hello” from microsoft word 2003.
In postgres it appears as �hello�

Could somebody help on this?

Ankit

Re: Special charaters

От
ries van Twisk
Дата:
On Mar 19, 2009, at 11:53 AM, ANKITBHATNAGAR wrote:

> Hi
> This happens when I import csv file via my app into postgres.
> The csv file has some  “hello” from microsoft word 2003.
> In postgres it appears as �hello�
>
> Could somebody help on this?

Check your encodings.

Ries

> Ankit

Re: Special charaters

От
Michael Higgins
Дата:
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:28:11 -0500
ries van Twisk <pg@rvt.dds.nl> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2009, at 11:53 AM, ANKITBHATNAGAR wrote:
>

> > Hi
> > This happens when I import csv file via my app into postgres.
> > The csv file has some  “hello” from microsoft word 2003.
> > In postgres it appears as �hello�
> >
> > Could somebody help on this?
>
> Check your encodings.

I doubt that's it, but I've been wrong before... I say, Google for "smart quotes" and... good luck. (They don't belong
toany encoding.)

Cheers,

--
 |\  /|        |   |          ~ ~
 | \/ |        |---|          `|` ?
 |    |ichael  |   |iggins    \^ /
 michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org

Re: Special charaters

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Michael Higgins wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:28:11 -0500
> ries van Twisk <pg@rvt.dds.nl> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 19, 2009, at 11:53 AM, ANKITBHATNAGAR wrote:
> >

> > > Hi
> > > This happens when I import csv file via my app into postgres.
> > > The csv file has some  “hello” from microsoft word 2003.
> > > In postgres it appears as �hello�
> > >
> > > Could somebody help on this?
> >
> > Check your encodings.
>
> I doubt that's it, but I've been wrong before... I say, Google for
> "smart quotes" and... good luck. (They don't belong to any encoding.)

Well, they must exist at least on utf8, otherwise they couldn't have
been pasted in the original message.

Re: Special charaters

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > Check your encodings.
> >
> > I doubt that's it, but I've been wrong before... I say, Google for
> > "smart quotes" and... good luck. (They don't belong to any encoding.)
>
> Well, they must exist at least on utf8, otherwise they couldn't have
> been pasted in the original message.

To be more precise, the two characters in question are UNICODE 201C and
201D. They exist only in UNICODE and Windows encodings.

Concerning the original problem:

- Figure out what the encoding of the CSV-File is. If the quotes are
  one byte wide, it is a windows encoding, otherwise something UNICODE.
- Set the environment variable PGCLIENTENCODING to the value that belongs
  to this encoding. There's a list in the documentation:
  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/multibyte.html
- Make sure that the database is UTF-8.

Then e.g. import via psql's \copy should work fine.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe