Обсуждение: Enable user access from remote host

Enable user access from remote host

От
Piotre Ugrumov
Дата:
Hi,
I installed postgresql (for the first time) in my xubuntu. I created
an user and now I would connect, from remote host, to the db with that
user. How can I enable the remote access for the user created?
Thanks, bye bye.

Re: Enable user access from remote host

От
Martin Gainty
Дата:
postgresql.conf :
change listen_address to a real ip

pg_hba.conf :
configure your host/hostssl hostnossl as:
# local      DATABASE  USER  METHOD  [OPTION]
# host       DATABASE  USER  CIDR-ADDRESS  METHOD  [OPTION]
# hostssl    DATABASE  USER  CIDR-ADDRESS  METHOD  [OPTION]
# hostnossl  DATABASE  USER  CIDR-ADDRESS  METHOD  [OPTION]
#
# (The uppercase items must be replaced by actual values.)
#
# The first field is the connection type: "local" is a Unix-domain socket,
# "host" is either a plain or SSL-encrypted TCP/IP socket, "hostssl" is an
# SSL-encrypted TCP/IP socket, and "hostnossl" is a plain TCP/IP socket.
#
# DATABASE can be "all", "sameuser", "samerole", a database name, or
# a comma-separated list thereof.
#
# USER can be "all", a user name, a group name prefixed with "+", or
# a comma-separated list thereof.  In both the DATABASE and USER fields
# you can also write a file name prefixed with "@" to include names from
# a separate file.
#
# CIDR-ADDRESS specifies the set of hosts the record matches.
# It is made up of an IP address and a CIDR mask that is an integer
# (between 0 and 32 (IPv4) or 128 (IPv6) inclusive) that specifies
# the number of significant bits in the mask.  Alternatively, you can write
# an IP address and netmask in separate columns to specify the set of hosts.
#
# METHOD can be "trust", "reject", "md5", "crypt", "password",
# "krb5", "ident", "pam" or "ldap".  Note that "password" sends passwords
# in clear text; "md5" is preferred since it sends encrypted passwords.
#
# OPTION is the ident map or the name of the PAM service, depending on METHOD.
#
--dont configure METHOD as password as passwords are clear text which can be sniffed--------
--use MD5 at a minimum to encrypt--

Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

> From: afmulone@gmail.com
> Subject: [GENERAL] Enable user access from remote host
> Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 13:57:44 -0800
> To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>
> Hi,
> I installed postgresql (for the first time) in my xubuntu. I created
> an user and now I would connect, from remote host, to the db with that
> user. How can I enable the remote access for the user created?
> Thanks, bye bye.

Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet. Check it out.

Re: Enable user access from remote host

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Martin Gainty wrote:
> postgresql.conf :
> change listen_address to a real ip

change it to '*' or you won't be able to use localhost...  alternately,
youc could specify ip.of.net.iface,localhost   if you wanted to be specific.

Re: Enable user access from remote host

От
Piotre Ugrumov
Дата:
On 8 Mar, 02:08, pie...@hogranch.com (John R Pierce) wrote:
> Martin Gainty wrote:
> > postgresql.conf :
> > change listen_address to a real ip
>
> change it to '*' or you won't be able to use localhost...  alternately,
> youc could specify ip.of.net.iface,localhost   if you wanted to be specific.

I inserted this line at the end of the pg_hba.conf

host    test        angelo      ""          ident sameuser

I inserted the "" to allow to everyone to access to the db.
But if I try to access, from another host, I receive an error. What is
the error in that line?
Thanks, bye bye.

Re: Enable user access from remote host

От
Andreas Wenk

Piotre Ugrumov schrieb:
> On 8 Mar, 02:08, pie...@hogranch.com (John R Pierce) wrote:
>> Martin Gainty wrote:
>>> postgresql.conf :
>>> change listen_address to a real ip
>> change it to '*' or you won't be able to use localhost...  alternately,
>> youc could specify ip.of.net.iface,localhost   if you wanted to be specific.
>>
>> --

> I inserted this line at the end of the pg_hba.conf
>
> host    test        angelo      ""          ident sameuser
>
> I inserted the "" to allow to everyone to access to the db.
> But if I try to access, from another host, I receive an error. What is
> the error in that line?

just leave it blank ... no "" signs ...

Cheers

Andy

--
Andreas Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

> Thanks, bye bye.

Re: Enable user access from remote host

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Piotre Ugrumov wrote:
> Hi,
> I inserted this line at the end of the pg_hba.conf
>
> host    test        angelo      ""          ident sameuser
>
> I inserted the "" to allow to everyone to access to the db.
> But if I try to access, from another host, I receive an error. What is
> the error in that line?

    host test angelo         0.0.0.0/0         ident sameuser

if you want to allow angelo to connect to database test from any IP...
*HOWEVER*   "ident sameuser" should *not* be used for HOST connections,
its only reliable for LOCAL connections.   instead, assign angelo a
password...

    alter user angelo with encrypted password 'somepassword';

and in pg_hba.conf, specify...

    host test angelo      0.0.0.0/0      md5

note, also, if there are any pg_hba.conf records in FRONT of this one
which would match on the connection, they will be used INSTEAD...  for
instance...

    host all all 192.168.1.0/24   md5

that allows any user, any database on the subnet 192.168.1.0/24 to
connect with md5 password authentication, and any following records
would be ignored.

Re: Enable user access from remote host

Дата:
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> *HOWEVER*   "ident sameuser" should *not* be used for HOST connections,
> its only reliable for LOCAL connections.

A more accurate statement is that it's trustworthy to the extent that
you trust the owner of the other machine to be running a non-broken
identd daemon.  Within a LAN it might be perfectly reasonable to use.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
>
>> *HOWEVER*   "ident sameuser" should *not* be used for HOST connections,
>> its only reliable for LOCAL connections.
>>

> A more accurate statement is that it's trustworthy to the extent that
> you trust the owner of the other machine to be running a non-broken
> identd daemon.  Within a LAN it might be perfectly reasonable to use.

you would have to extend that trust to any machine connected to any
network which can be routed to the server in question as he was
specifying a wildcard IP, and that includes anything that anyone could
plug into any network port.

no thanks.

Re: Enable user access from remote host

Дата:
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> A more accurate statement is that it's trustworthy to the extent that
>> you trust the owner of the other machine to be running a non-broken
>> identd daemon.  Within a LAN it might be perfectly reasonable to use.

> you would have to extend that trust to any machine connected to any
> network which can be routed to the server in question as he was
> specifying a wildcard IP, and that includes anything that anyone could
> plug into any network port.

Agreed, it's pretty stupid to use IDENT with a wildcard IP that allows
connections from untrusted networks.  I was just objecting to the
statement that it's unsafe in all cases.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Enable user access from remote host

От
Piotre Ugrumov
Дата:
On 9 Mar, 02:22, t...@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) wrote:
> John R Pierce <pie...@hogranch.com> writes:
>
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> A more accurate statement is that it's trustworthy to the extent that
> >> you trust the owner of the other machine to be running a non-broken
> >> identd daemon.  Within a LAN it might be perfectly reasonable to use.
> > you would have to extend that trust to any machine connected to any
> > network which can be routed to the server in question as he was
> > specifying a wildcard IP, and that includes anything that anyone could
> > plug into any network port.
>
> Agreed, it's pretty stupid to use IDENT with a wildcard IP that allows
> connections from untrusted networks.  I was just objecting to the
> statement that it's unsafe in all cases.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

I inserted the following line:

host    test        angelo      0.0.0.0/0          md5

and in pgAdmin I insert

angelo as user
mypassword as password
test as service

and I left blank the SSL field.

Moreover I have executed the following commands (before try to
connect):
sudo -u angelo psql template1
then
alter user angelo with encrypted password 'mypassword';

But I have the same problems.
Why?
What do I wrong?
Thanks, bye bye.

Re: Enable user access from remote host

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On Tuesday 10 March 2009 4:36:36 pm Piotre Ugrumov wrote:
> On 9 Mar, 02:22, t...@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) wrote:
> > John R Pierce <pie...@hogranch.com> writes:
> > >
> > > you would have to extend that trust to any machine connected to any
> > > network which can be routed to the server in question as he was
> > > specifying a wildcard IP, and that includes anything that anyone could
> > > plug into any network port.
> >
> > Agreed, it's pretty stupid to use IDENT with a wildcard IP that allows
> > connections from untrusted networks.  I was just objecting to the
> > statement that it's unsafe in all cases.
> >
> >                         regards, tom lane
> >
> > --

> I inserted the following line:
>
> host    test        angelo      0.0.0.0/0          md5

Did you pg_ctl reload to get the change noticed?

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net

Re: Enable user access from remote host

От
Piotre Ugrumov
Дата:
On 11 Mar, 01:41, akla...@comcast.net (Adrian Klaver) wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 March 2009 4:36:36 pm Piotre Ugrumov wrote:

> > > Agreed, it's pretty stupid to use IDENT with a wildcard IP that allows
> > > connections from untrusted networks.  I was just objecting to the
> > > statement that it's unsafe in all cases.
>
> > >                         regards, tom lane
>
> > > --
>
> > Hi,
> > I inserted the following line:
>
> > host    test           angelo      0.0.0.0/0          md5
>
> Did you pg_ctl reload to get the change noticed?
>

> > and in pgAdmin I insert
>
> > angelo as user
> > mypassword as password
> > test as service
>
> > and I left blank the SSL field.
>
> > Moreover I have executed the following commands (before try to
> > connect):
> > sudo -u angelo psql template1
> > then
> > alter user angelo with encrypted password 'mypassword';
>
> > But I have the same problems.
> > Why?
> > What do I wrong?
> > Thanks, bye bye.
>
> --
> Adrian Klaver
> akla...@comcast.net

I restarted my xubuntu (where I installed postgresql) but I have the
problem.
Thanks, bye bye.

Re: Enable user access from remote host

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On Wednesday 11 March 2009 1:29:18 pm Piotre Ugrumov wrote:
> On 11 Mar, 01:41, akla...@comcast.net (Adrian Klaver) wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > > I inserted the following line:
> > >
> > > host    test           angelo      0.0.0.0/0          md5
> >
> > Did you pg_ctl reload to get the change noticed?
> >
> > > and in pgAdmin I insert
> > >
> > > angelo as user
> > > mypassword as password
> > > test as service
> > >
> > > and I left blank the SSL field.
> > >
> > > Moreover I have executed the following commands (before try to
> > > connect):
> > > sudo -u angelo psql template1
> > > then
> > > alter user angelo with encrypted password 'mypassword';
> > >
> > > But I have the same problems.
> > > Why?
> > > What do I wrong?
> > > Thanks, bye bye.
> >
> > --
> > Adrian Klaver
> > akla...@comcast.net
> >
> > --
>
> I restarted my xubuntu (where I installed postgresql) but I have the
> problem.
> Thanks, bye bye.

It is not necessary to restart the computer. As the Postgres superuser(usually
postgres) run the command pg_ctl with the appropriate parameter. In the case of
changes to pg_hba.conf it would be pg_ctl reload. This tells the Postgres
server to reload its conf files so it can take advantage of the changes. Some
conf parameters need a pg_ctl restart as they are only read at start up of the
server. The comments in the *.conf files help you with this (especially in
newer versions pf Postgres). Also look at for more information:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/runtime-config.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/client-authentication.html
As to your particular problem I am going to need some more information. I went
back through the thread and cannot see any specific error messages. What
exactly is "the same problems"? Other question, can you connect locally?

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net