Обсуждение: Problem with SSL: "could not accept SSL connection: EOF detected"

Problem with SSL: "could not accept SSL connection: EOF detected"

От
Pat Maddox
Дата:
I have an ubuntu intrepid server running postgres 8.3.6.  The server
is able to accept connections via SSL.

We have another host that is unable to connect via ssl for some
reason.  Trying to connect results in
psql:
and quitting.  The server log says
"could not accept SSL connection: EOF detected"

I'm pretty sure it's a client ssl issue, because the server accepts
ssl connections from other hosts, and the problem host is able to
connect when the server doesn't require ssl.  I have no clue how to
solve this issue though, and would really appreciate some help.
Please let me know if you need any more info.

Pat

Re: Problem with SSL: "could not accept SSL connection: EOF detected"

Дата:
Pat Maddox <pat.maddox@gmail.com> writes:
> I have an ubuntu intrepid server running postgres 8.3.6.  The server
> is able to accept connections via SSL.

> We have another host that is unable to connect via ssl for some
> reason.  Trying to connect results in
> psql:
> and quitting.  The server log says
> "could not accept SSL connection: EOF detected"

> I'm pretty sure it's a client ssl issue, because the server accepts
> ssl connections from other hosts, and the problem host is able to
> connect when the server doesn't require ssl.

Odd.  Try strace'ing the failing psql session, and send us the last few
dozen lines of the output.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Problem with SSL: "could not accept SSL connection: EOF detected"

От
Pat Maddox
Дата:

http://pastie.org/private/y7cbpuamemxawmhh8hdna is the strace output

Pat

Re: Problem with SSL: "could not accept SSL connection: EOF detected"

Дата:
Pat Maddox <pat.maddox@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Odd. �Try strace'ing the failing psql session, and send us the last few
>> dozen lines of the output.

> http://pastie.org/private/y7cbpuamemxawmhh8hdna is the strace output

So the relevant info is

sendto(3, "\0\0\0*\0\3\0\0user\0enc\0database\0yachti"..., 42, 0, NULL, 0) = 42
rt_sigaction(SIGPIPE, {SIG_DFL}, {SIG_IGN}, 8) = 0
poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN|POLLERR, revents=POLLIN}], 1, -1) = 1
recvfrom(3, "E\0\0\0\225SFATAL\0C28000\0Mno pg_hba.co"..., 16384, 0, NULL, NULL) = 150
write(2, "psql: ", 6psql: )                   = 6
close(3)                                = 0
exit_group(2)                           = ?

Which looks to me like the server is correctly returning a rejection
(I assume there's a "no pg_hba.conf entry..." error showing up in the
server log too?) and then libpq is somehow falling down at converting
that to a displayable message --- psql seems to be getting told
correctly that the connection failed, but it's getting an empty string
instead of the desired error message.

In short, you've got a broken libpq (or possibly a broken psql
executable) on that machine.  I'd try reinstalling the postgres stuff
before spending additional time on it.  If it still fails then it would
be time to inquire into configuration options and so forth used to build
the postgres code for that machine.

            regards, tom lane