Обсуждение: Why not working under 8.3

Why not working under 8.3

От
"Andreas Moeller"

Following lines produce an error message under 8.3. - but not under 8.1.
Why?

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dodi() RETURNS boolean AS
$$
BEGIN
        SELECT 'abc' INTO TEMPORARY foonana;
        RETURN FALSE;
END;
$$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

FEHLER:  syntax error at "TEMPORARY"
DETAIL:  Expected record variable, row variable, or list of scalar variables following INTO.
CONTEXT:  compile of PL/pgSQL function "dodi" near line 2

********** Fehler **********

FEHLER: syntax error at "TEMPORARY"
SQL Status:42601
Detail:Expected record variable, row variable, or list of scalar variables following INTO.
Kontext:compile of PL/pgSQL function "dodi" near line 2

Re: Why not working under 8.3

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
----- "Andreas Moeller" <a.moeller@teia.de> wrote:

> Following lines produce an error message under 8.3. - but not under
> 8.1.
> Why?
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dodi() RETURNS boolean AS
> $$
> BEGIN
> SELECT 'abc' INTO TEMPORARY foonana;
> RETURN FALSE;
> END;
> $$
> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>

> FEHLER: syntax error at "TEMPORARY"
> DETAIL: Expected record variable, row variable, or list of scalar
> variables following INTO.
> CONTEXT: compile of PL/pgSQL function "dodi" near line 2
>
> ********** Fehler **********
>
> FEHLER: syntax error at "TEMPORARY"
> SQL Status:42601
> Detail:Expected record variable, row variable, or list of scalar
> variables following INTO.
> Kontext:compile of PL/pgSQL function "dodi" near line 2

Are you sure this worked in 8.1? SELECT INTO in plpgsql needs to point to a variable as noted by the error message. You
needto declare a variable.

Re: Why not working under 8.3

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
----- "Adrian Klaver" <aklaver@comcast.net> wrote:

> ----- "Andreas Moeller" <a.moeller@teia.de> wrote:
>
> > Following lines produce an error message under 8.3. - but not under
> > 8.1.
> > Why?
> >
> > CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dodi() RETURNS boolean AS
> > $$
> > BEGIN
> > SELECT 'abc' INTO TEMPORARY foonana;
> > RETURN FALSE;
> > END;
> > $$
> > LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
> >

> > FEHLER: syntax error at "TEMPORARY"
> > DETAIL: Expected record variable, row variable, or list of scalar
> > variables following INTO.
> > CONTEXT: compile of PL/pgSQL function "dodi" near line 2
> >
> > ********** Fehler **********
> >
> > FEHLER: syntax error at "TEMPORARY"
> > SQL Status:42601
> > Detail:Expected record variable, row variable, or list of scalar
> > variables following INTO.
> > Kontext:compile of PL/pgSQL function "dodi" near line 2
>
> Are you sure this worked in 8.1? SELECT INTO in plpgsql needs to point
> to a variable as noted by the error message. You need to declare a
> variable.
>
> --

Out of curiosity I went back to 8.0 and ran the function and got:
production=> SELECT dodi();
WARNING:  column "?column?" has type "unknown"
DETAIL:  Proceeding with relation creation anyway.
CONTEXT:  SQL statement "SELECT  'abc' INTO  TEMPORARY foonana"
PL/pgSQL function "dodi" line 2 at SQL statement
 dodi
------
(1 row)

Seems it ignores the unknown type and returns the False value. Type casting has been tightened up in 8.3, so this
qualifiesas an error now.

Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net

Re: Why not working under 8.3

Дата:
Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net> writes:
> Out of curiosity I went back to 8.0 and ran the function and got:
> production=> SELECT dodi();
> WARNING:  column "?column?" has type "unknown"
> DETAIL:  Proceeding with relation creation anyway.

Pre-8.2 plpgsql was willing to treat INTO as not special if the word
right after it was not any known plpgsql variable, but this was never
exactly a good thing to rely on.  Per the recommendation in the docs,
you should be using CREATE TABLE AS rather than SELECT INTO if you
want to get at the non-plpgsql behavior of SELECT INTO.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Why not working under 8.3

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net> wrote:

> ----- "Andreas Moeller" <a.moeller@teia.de> wrote:
>
>> Following lines produce an error message under 8.3. - but not under
>> 8.1.
>> Why?
>>
>> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dodi() RETURNS boolean AS
>> $$
>> BEGIN
>> SELECT 'abc' INTO TEMPORARY foonana;
>> RETURN FALSE;
>> END;
>> $$
>> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>>

>> FEHLER: syntax error at "TEMPORARY"
>> DETAIL: Expected record variable, row variable, or list of scalar
>> variables following INTO.
>> CONTEXT: compile of PL/pgSQL function "dodi" near line 2
>>
>> ********** Fehler **********
>>
>> FEHLER: syntax error at "TEMPORARY"
>> SQL Status:42601
>> Detail:Expected record variable, row variable, or list of scalar
>> variables following INTO.
>> Kontext:compile of PL/pgSQL function "dodi" near line 2
>
> Are you sure this worked in 8.1? SELECT INTO in plpgsql needs to point to a variable as noted by the error message.
Youneed to declare a variable.

looks like ambiguity between plpgsql 'select into' and the regular sql
'select into' method which works like 'create table as'.  I vaguely
remember something about this changing.  In any event. the OP is crazy
to write it like that, 'create [temp] table as' is preferred.

merlin