Обсуждение: column name order matters in insert into foo from bar

column name order matters in insert into foo from bar

От
"Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz"
Дата:
hey,

it looks , as if when I have two tables, say
create table foo(
  a int,
  b varchar,
  c float
);

and :

create table bar(
  b varchar,
  a int,
  c float
);

migration of data from one to the other using

insert into foo select * from bar; will fail.
How can I walk around that please ?

--
GJ

Re: column name order matters in insert into foo from bar

От
"Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz"
Дата:
to answer myself, and also make matter a bit more complicated.
the table has like 20 columns, so - yes, I can probably name all of
them one by one, but - is there any way to do it without need to name
all of them ?

Re: column name order matters in insert into foo from bar

От
"Pavel Stehule"
Дата:
2008/12/4 Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman@gmail.com>:
> to answer myself, and also make matter a bit more complicated.
> the table has like 20 columns, so - yes, I can probably name all of
> them one by one, but - is there any way to do it without need to name
> all of them ?

no,

regards
Pavel Stehule

p.s. you can try use stored procedure for generating these statements

Re: column name order matters in insert into foo from bar

От
"Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz"
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> p.s. you can try use stored procedure for generating these statements
yeah, I ended up generating it using:
 select  array_to_string(ARRAY(select column_name::text  FROM
information_schema.columns where table_name='foo'), ',');

This was one time thing anyway, so than simple copy and paste, etc ..

thanks folks.

--
GJ