Обсуждение: simple COPY FROM issue

simple COPY FROM issue

От
"Kevin Duffy"

Hello:

A follow up question that may clear this all up:

Is the ‘filename’ relative to the server machine or the client where pgAdmin is running?

Kevin Duffy

WR Capital Management

40 Signal Rd

Stamford, CT

203-504-6221

Re: simple COPY FROM issue

От
brian
Дата:
The file must be on the server. IIRC, with COPY FROM (as opposed to COPY
TO) the path can be relative to the server process dir but it's probably
a good idea to always use an absolute path.

If you wish to copy from the client machine you can use \copy within psql.

Kevin Duffy wrote:
> Hello:
>

> A follow up question that may clear this all up:
>

> Is the 'filename' relative to the server machine or the client where
> pgAdmin is running?
>

> Kevin Duffy
>
> WR Capital Management
>
> 40 Signal Rd
>
> Stamford, CT
>
> 203-504-6221

Re: simple COPY FROM issue

От
"Kevin Duffy"
Дата:
This worked where E: is on the database server
copy imagineoptions
   from 'E:\\ORGDAT~1\\data\\xxxPositions\\20081112_Options.csv'
DELIMITERS  ','  CSV ;

This does not work  fileprint-01 is a different server.
copy imagineoptions
  from
\\fileprint-01\Company\xxx\Benchmarking\xxxPositions\20081112_Options.cs
DELIMITERS  ','  CSV ;

So the COPY FROM command in Postgres can not handle a URL

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

KD

Kevin Duffy wrote:
> Hello:
>

> A follow up question that may clear this all up:
>

> Is the 'filename' relative to the server machine or the client where
> pgAdmin is running?
>

> Kevin Duffy
>
> WR Capital Management
>
> 40 Signal Rd
>
> Stamford, CT
>
> 203-504-6221

Re: simple COPY FROM issue

От
Sam Mason
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:18:56AM -0500, Kevin Duffy wrote:
> This worked where E: is on the database server
> copy imagineoptions
>    from 'E:\\ORGDAT~1\\data\\xxxPositions\\20081112_Options.csv'
> DELIMITERS  ','  CSV ;
>

> This does not work  fileprint-01 is a different server.
> copy imagineoptions
>   from
> \\fileprint-01\Company\xxx\Benchmarking\xxxPositions\20081112_Options.cs
> DELIMITERS  ','  CSV ;

Is this exactly what you entered? if it is, you're missing quotes and
escaping.  You probably want something more similar to this:

  COPY imagineoptions
  FROM E'\\\\fileprint-01\\Company\\xxx\\Benchmarking\\xxxPositions\20081112_Options.csv'
  WITH CSV;

> So the COPY FROM command in Postgres can not handle a URL

Postgres doesn't handle URL's, but that's not what you entered.  At
most, you entered a UNC path (I believe, it's been a *long* time since I
had to deal with these under windows) and not a URL.  UNC paths always
used to be handled transparently by the operating system and didn't need
any special handling from normal processes, e.g. a Postgres server.

If you could enter the command exactly as you entered it and also
include the response back from the server that may help to narrow things
down a bit.

  Sam